Moonlight kit write-up

fc_reefer

Cleaner Shrimp
I just bought a moonlight kit off of ebay and thought I would post some pics. I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110945590118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (if not available search for 5050 rgb led waterproof remote). $32 should get you a remote, powersupply, and 16.5ft of leds (150 total).
The led strip smells horrible (chemical rubber smell) so I unrolled it and left it outside overnight so the fumes wouldn't get in the tank or my house. Turning the lights on is simple but figuring out how to install the lights might be a challenge. They do come with 3m type tape on one side, but I doubt it would hold in saltwater conditions. For my initial testing i just flattened out the strip on the glass top of my tank (72gal bowfront). You can cut up the strip if you want (should work for ANY size tank). For $10 u can get another controller & power supply to run a cut section of the lights.

All but one picture was taken with the lights on full brightness. The other one is full dim(follow on post). The colors are very close to reality, but the coral and fish look amazing on a purplish setting(not captured so well in pic). It makes for a really cool evening setting before dimming them for a moon light effect. The dimmest blue setting looks like a soft full moon(best way to describe it) and the corals don't pop quite like a royal blue might but they still looks good.
In summary, these are awesome lights. Very happy with the purchase, I just have to figure out a more permanant installation.
On to pictures... (two more in next post)
View attachment 9177 View attachment 9178 View attachment 9179 View attachment 9180 View attachment 9181

fc_reefer

Cleaner Shrimp
two more pics

Blue on dimmest setting, and a purple color that makes everything looks amazing on this setting. Picture doesn't do it justice.

[attachment=62558:name]

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very nice. The red would be cool for finding pests at night. Also, if you cut it, can you extend the wires so you can use the rest of the roll maybe under the stand?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
cdrewferd;193027 said:
The red would be cool for finding pests at night.
Exactly what I was thinking. Worth the price alone just for the red to see the night critters!

fc_reefer

Cleaner Shrimp
Mine were wired correctly, but I have heard that is a common problem. I think there are multiple standards used on the LED and controller and some sellers to pay attention to get a matching set.

-CDREWFERD
You can cut the leds to length and then solder wires between mulitiple pieces. You need 4 wires. A cat5 cable could do the trick and keep the install clean.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice. I may have to look into these.