Need plumbing advice and also some PVC parts

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, the new tank is in place, and I went to HD and Lowes to purchase some plumbing parts. I came up empty handed in a couple of areas. I also started to 2nd guess myself with the vinyl tubing.

First question - Is vinyl tubing reef safe? I know a lot of us use it, but after googling it, it appears as if it might leach chemicals. If it is not, how about nylon tubing? BRS sells it, but nylon doesn't appear to be reef safe either.

2nd question. Where is the best place to find PVC adapters locally this weekend? Crisc's store is closed on Sundays, and I don't know who else may have what I need, (on the South side of town).

I need to find:
- 1.5" male threaded adapter --> 1" barbed fitting, or a 1.5" male threaded adapter --> 1" threaded adapter.
- 1" --> 3/4" tee -- Or a 1" tee - All three sides need to be threaded.

I was hoping to find everything local, and get this guy plumbed and holding water this weekend, and now it's looking like I might have to buy some stuff on the web.

Any suggestions/help/ideas?

thanks,

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ime it takes a lot of time, trial and error to get all the plumbing worked out, and very hard to find specialty pieces that aquarists often need. You may need 2-3 conversion pieces to get each of those worked out that you have listed. Plan to plumb in unions at strategic points as well so you can pull hard plumbed runs apart without cutting into anything. Hard plumb (pvc sched 40) as much as possible instead of using vinyl tubing, but use potable water grade vinyl tubing if you must. Try ace Hardware also. If you can find a plumbing dept guy and explain what you are trying to do, you may get good advice as well. 3/4" barbed fittings are sometimes in the sprinkler /garden section, not by the plumbing section. Good luck.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Need plumbing advice and also some PVC parts

asneiman;234538 said:
So, the new tank is in place, and I went to HD and Lowes to purchase some plumbing parts. I came up empty handed in a couple of areas. I also started to 2nd guess myself with the vinyl tubing.

First question - Is vinyl tubing reef safe? I know a lot of us use it, but after googling it, it appears as if it might leach chemicals. If it is not, how about nylon tubing? BRS sells it, but nylon doesn't appear to be reef safe either.

2nd question. Where is the best place to find PVC adapters locally this weekend? Crisc's store is closed on Sundays, and I don't know who else may have what I need, (on the South side of town).

I need to find:
- 1.5" male threaded adapter --> 1" barbed fitting, or a 1.5" male threaded adapter --> 1" threaded adapter.
- 1" --> 3/4" tee -- Or a 1" tee - All three sides need to be threaded.

I was hoping to find everything local, and get this guy plumbed and holding water this weekend, and now it's looking like I might have to buy some stuff on the web.

Any suggestions/help/ideas?

thanks,
1. Yes, to an extent. Without specifically finding the data sheet, I'm going to say that in the range that we occupy it's fine. Nylon tubing is fine in our range as well. Polyurethane is good to go as well.

2. By PVC adapter, what do you mean? Thread x Slip? Slip x hose barb? Thread x bard? Male or female ends? Reducing adapters? Whatever the case, you should be able to find them at big box stores. For barb ends, check the sprinkler sections.

Upon further reading, you might have a hard time finding 1.5" to barb. You could use bushings and piece together the part you need (1.5" male thread x 1" female thread bushing, 1" male threads -> 1" barb. For example), might cost you 5x the price, but it'll work.

I was at HD today, they are having a sprinkler part sale, specifically the hose barb parts you're looking for. Check the end caps by the plumbing/sprinkler section.

I agree with Lowes being the better option, prices are a few pennies cheaper as well.

GL sir

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

Apparently Dave types faster than I. Plan on unions. I love the true unions Lowes has, HD doesn't carry them.

Ace will have specialty pieces

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Try landscaping or sprinkler speciality stores, prob not many if any open on Sundays.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found everything I needed at The Big Tool Box. The tank is plumbed, and filling....................

Did I say it was filling very slowly from my RO?

I think it's going to take a very long time to fill.............

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why are you filling it from your RO?

If this is the first fill. go get your hose, and fill it with regular water.

There is nothing worse than filling a tank and having leaks and having to drain it.

Fill it with regular water first and let it sit for a few hours at the minimum to make sure none of your joints are leaking.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Need plumbing advice and also some PVC parts

that0neguy1126;234735 said:
Why are you filling it from your RO?

If this is the first fill. go get your hose, and fill it with regular water.

There is nothing worse than filling a tank and having leaks and having to drain it.

Fill it with regular water first and let it sit for a few hours at the minimum to make sure none of your joints are leaking.
+1 on using tap water to leak test.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know, but my garden hoses are winterized, and are a PITA to drain. I am hoping everything will be ok.

I used teflon tape, and threaded PVC for everything, along with barbed ends for the vinyl tubing. If for some reason one of the thraded pvc ends are leaking, can I dry it off, and coat it with silocon from the outside?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;234778 said:
I used this stuff for my threads. No leaks and potable h2o safe.
It's already put togeather, and filling. Can I apply that stuff if any leaks pop up?

BPreefer;234781 said:
Where's the build thread , Alan? We need pics
Brent - I'm taking pictures as I go. It was a long day and a half picking up everything, and putting it togeather. Hopefully this week you'll see a build thread.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still filling......... The water is currently about 2" from the top of the tank. I moved to RO over to the overflow, and waiting for it to fill the sump. I think it might be time to add some salt and start mixing.

I did have one leak, where a bulkhead connected to a ball valve. luckily I was able to take it apart, re-tape, and put back together without draining the tank.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hm well you may want to just fire up the pumps for 24 hours before salt, just to see everything in operation and that there are no other big leadks? If not too late. Tiny trickle leaks usually seal with salt creep, and may not be an issue. Did you clean out all the PVC by soaking or vinegar spraying down? I'm anal that way to avoid dust etc in system, and ran ran my tank with water/vinegar for 24 hours before draining off and refilling...