Opinions/advice

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
starting a new 80 gallon and thinking this for the rock. Interested in opinions or any potential issues with this. Enough hiding for fish or not enough rock for an 80, etc. Thanks for the help.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
looks great, not sure you need anymore in the DP. usually the rule of thumb is a pound per gallon but you can always add what's missing in the sump

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think the rock work looks great! Here is an interesting from a really knowlegeable veteran that ends up being about the rock he used in his newer setup and how it effected his coral growth.

I learned I'm never permanently aqua scaping again. Corals encrusting over, accidental algae growth. I've learned proper frag mounting and the ability to pull rock out in a o crap moment makes up for not having the cool scaping.
Does look cool though.

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Thanks all. Unfortunately tank is 16in tall so im somewhat limited but i think you're right and different heights would be nice, ill mess with it.

Great article, make perfect sense. Unfortunately part of the reason for new is a bad hair algae problem so not sure i can put it in, maybe in the new basement sump. Hopefully the new filtration will not allow is to grow like before cuz i would love to put that rock in the sump for the bacteria.

Definitely agree with being able to remove rocks, that has saved me numerous times. Bit of a gamble on the big one but tried to keep that in mind cuz i definitely pulled a lot of rock out more than once. I think i will arrange so that's a bit easier.

Really good advice all around, definitely what i was hoping for. Thank you, keep it coming.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A bridge or arch between the two that is held in with acrylic rods would look epic.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.