purple algae

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
No it doesn't move around with the current I try to scratch it of the rock it didn't came of

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So its going to go away from my sand or its going to stay there for ever

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: purple algae

Looks like cyano. For a young tank it is pretty much expected. Not something you want in your tank in the long run. When you do a water change, siphon out what you can, watch how much you feed for a while and maybe reduce light by an hour or two for a while. How old are your bulbs? Old bulbs can sometimes be the culprit as well, since as a bulb ages it produces a different spectrum than when it was new. Since it is in your 'fuge and display, light spectrum probably is not the issue.
Adding new live rock can also cause a cyano outbreak, as phosphates and other organics can be released from the rock cycling.
Hang in there...it is't very pleasant to look at, but with time, patience and good water quality management it can be beat. It will eventually go away.

Here is one of your pics for those that can't see your photobucket account:
View attachment 14033

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just replace my bulbs two weeks ago this ting its attach to my rock sand and glass I try to blow it of scratch it of and nothing work I only feed 1 other day and just did a water change yesterday

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: purple algae

What is your freshwater source? RO/DI water? From a fish store or your house?
I had a problem with cyano in several tanks and discovered that the RO/DI water I was getting from my local fish store (LFS) was pretty crappy water. When I got better water...it went away.

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tony02133;248979 said:
My water its from keys island
May want to check the tds of the water and ask how they filter their ro water. I've had issues with different pet stores and ended up getting my own ro/di system to make sure that the water was the way it should be.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sometimes they get upset wen I ask to much , I like aquamart they are really nice.. has anyone got water from them