Radion intensity for Sps

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 40gal breeder that I'm growing Sps in. I was wondering what intensity others are running radions at with Sps under them and what people have experienced with growth and color. I know these are newer lights but am wanting some feedback on them.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
dvenson;167458 said:
ask mdrumm i know he has a couple on his tank.
If by a couple you mean 10 of them then yeah, mdrumm has a couple of them. lol

I must agree, mdrumm is the one to ask, he has an AMAZING setup and can probably answer your question.

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
I have 3 on a standard 180 that I have worked up to 90%. Some of the corals are doing great some not so great. For example I have a ora ice tort, ora joe, and ora rose milli all in the same area 4"-6" below waterline and doing incredable. Than there's the humilis that sits 14" down that completely browned out from the light. This same coral was kept under 250 hqi 10" and did great and the ora's were kept at about the same(4") below waterline and did great.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
powdermonkey;167549 said:
I have 3 on a standard 180 that I have worked up to 90%. Some of the corals are doing great some not so great. For example I have a ora ice tort, ora joe, and ora rose milli all in the same area 4"-6" below waterline and doing incredable. Than there's the humilis that sits 14" down that completely browned out from the light. This same coral was kept under 250 hqi 10" and did great and the ora's were kept at about the same(4") below waterline and did great.
Ok. How high above the waterline was your Radion hung? Mine is about 8" above.

I have mine set at 85% right now, granted mine are right over the tank temporarily on my 75 until the stand and hood are done for my 125. SPS are all in the top half of my tank.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
crustytheclown;167333 said:
I have a 40gal breeder that I'm growing Sps in. I was wondering what intensity others are running radions at with Sps under them and what people have experienced with growth and color. I know these are newer lights but am wanting some feedback on them.
You can grow SPS with them, but they're not as powerful as you might think. Vivid Aquariums is doing a side-by-side comparison over an 800G aquarium using 12 Radion LED fixtures (1680W total) and 2,800W of Radium MH (2 x 100W and 2 x 400W). The PAR values for the Radions are significantly lower than the MH.

The details of the experiment are here: http://www.vividaquariums.com/aquariumLightExperiment.asp
There's a Youtube video of the tank here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpJM...ryvsUo3hcngtLQ8&lch=email_reply&feature=email

It's not necessarily a fair comparison unless they match the PAR between the MH and LEDs though. Another mismatch is between the spectral characteristics of each. They should be configuring the LEDs to match the MH spectrum as much as possible, which they can do with the Radion configuration software.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Crit21;169000 said:
You can grow SPS with them, but they're not as powerful as you might think. Vivid Aquariums is doing a side-by-side comparison over an 800G aquarium using 12 Radion LED fixtures (1680W total) and 2,800W of Radium MH (2 x 100W and 2 x 400W). The PAR values for the Radions are significantly lower than the MH.

The details of the experiment are here: http://www.vividaquariums.com/aquariumLightExperiment.asp
There's a Youtube video of the tank here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpJM...ryvsUo3hcngtLQ8&lch=email_reply&feature=email

It's not necessarily a fair comparison unless they match the PAR between the MH and LEDs though. Another mismatch is between the spectral characteristics of each. They should be configuring the LEDs to match the MH spectrum as much as possible, which they can do with the Radion configuration software.
Cool vid. :)