Reef Tank While On Vactation

Hello wonderful MASC community! I am going on a vacation this June and want to make sure I am completely prepared for being away from the tank for a week or so. The last several years we have been gone the first 8-10 days of June and have had a house sitter watch the dog and take care of the house and of course tend to the reef tank feeding/monitoring. Although this year we will be having some interior work done on the house, meaning the dog is going to the kennel and its not an option to have a house sitter, as people will be in and out doing work the entirety of our absence. Needing an excuse to get a tank controller this is as best a time as any! Don't want to spend an insane amount of money, probably somewhere around $300 max. Want to know recommendations for brand/model. If anyone has one they want to sell I'd be thrilled to work out a deal through MASC or a local vendor!
Thanks!

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Whatever you do, get it ASAP. Controllers have a learning curve. Don't put one on line just before you leave! Have it going for a few weeks first. Just my opinion. I have a reefkeeper lite, simple and effective. Great for simple tasks. If you wanna go on line and check up on stuff you are probably going to need to spend more than 300. I've heard Neptune apex is the bees knees but have no frame of reference.

Thanks for the advice! I plan on getting it soon, it seems the more research I do on them the more confusing it gets. Am I correct in saying the Apex units are internet connected out of the box?

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have one of the last Apex Lite combos (NIB) in existance. $385

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an Apex Jr and love it. I'll be leaving town for 5 days this month and am completely confident...but I've been running it for a year.

I agree...get a controller ASAP and get used to it. The Apex is essentially internet capable out of the box. You do still need to connect to a gaming adapter or directly to your router, so there may be some extra equipment involved. It does not have wireless networking capability built in...so just be aware of that.

What are you wanting to control/monitor while you are away? Depending on the controller you go with...monitoring the temp (and perhaps pH) is the only thing I can think of that would give you an indication of your tank's health while you are away. You could add a camera to view the tank...but costs start adding up quickly.

FWIW, I have the Apex Jr. running with their Autofeeder...those 2 items would put you a bit beyond the $300 budget you mentioned, but might be enough for your needs if you're able to have someone just pop in to make sure the tank isn't looking bad.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I completely agree with jahmic; I'd still have someone stop by once a day or every other day to check on the tank. All the better if said person knows reef tanks or fish tanks so they can call you and talk to you about what's going on. I'd still definitely use this as an excuse to get a controller, mind you :)

Thanks for the responses everyone, much appreciated! Our contractor is pretty savvy and has worked around our tank before so I'm sure he could take a peek on it every day being that he will already be there doing work.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
WalkPrazz;304947 said:
Thanks for the offer Vince! What does that include in regards to what I can monitor? Capability to monitor online from a computer?
Comes with:
Display
Base Unit (brain)
EB8 (8 place power bar)
Temp probe

You can see your aquarium's parameters from anywhere in the world as long as you get it set up properly. Thanks.

V

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
WalkPrazz;304947 said:
Thanks for the offer Vince! What does that include in regards to what I can monitor? Capability to monitor online from a computer?
You will also need a pH probe if you want to monitor that as well. Those run about 60 bucks

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

samindenver

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you can afford it also spring for their new auto feeder and factor in a few bucks for a DYI auto top off controlled by the apex. You'll never be sorry that you sprung for the Apex. Best aquarium purchase I've made.

Its encouraging to hear the rave comments regarding tank controllers, man this is getting very expensive very quickly! Haha, all good hobby's have to have their costs!:D

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm breaking down a tank and have a reef angel with wifi I'm getting ready to sell. Absolutely love it but moving and don't want to move the tanks..

GiraffeCat

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
BryanF;305130 said:
I'm breaking down a tank and have a reef angel with wifi I'm getting ready to sell. Absolutely love it but moving and don't want to move the tanks..
What expansion modules do you have? Plus or the Regular?

Late,
GC