Refugiums Designs

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will be getting a refugium custom made and have narrowed it down to three different designs.

1. Skimmer on the left then the refugium then return.
2. Skimmerand refugium on the outside with the return in the middle.
3. Skimmer on the left then the return and refugium parallel to one another.

Which design is most preferred, what are the pros and cons of each? Which one would you build?

The dimensions of the refugium will be about 32"L x 12"H x 14" W.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
i like the kimmer and fuge on the outsides with return in middle... allowing me to control flow through fuge.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Refugiums Designs

I like 1, hated 2 (couldn't control the micro bubbles), I don't think 3 would work well with your dims (unless you use rubble, sand, macro. I think it would be to small though. Depending on how it was implemented, you could control water flow very nicely)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
For 2, were you getting micro bubbles from skimmer or refugium side? Why would 3 not work, say the skimmer section is 14" long with 3 baffles at about 4" inches wouldnt that leave me with about refugium area of about 14" long by 7" wide?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Refugiums Designs

opakapaka;220550 said:
For 2, were you getting micro bubbles from skimmer or refugium side? Why would 3 not work, say the skimmer section is 14" long with 3 baffles at about 4" inches wouldnt that leave me with about refugium area of about 14" long by 7" wide?
Refugium. My main issue was that I took measurements from the outside, as opposed to the inside, messed up my whole plan. In didn't have enough room for all the bubble traps.

It might be just me by 7in is kinda narrow.

It might work well for you.

I'm experimenting with a one baffle sump (like the Reef Octopus one)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD