RO waste water won't shut off

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Hooked up a different RO I just got used, replaced the membrane and flow restrictor. Runs fine with 10 tds (i know need to replace my di). However the waste water never shuts off after the float valve shuts off. Meaning once the ato holding tank is full and float shuts off supply the waste line still runs.

Anyone have a solution and or thoughts? I know a few of you have had this problem before, if you resolved it how dis you do it? Any thoughts would be helpful

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok so I quickly think I know the issue..... The elbow coming from the second chamber going through the asov ro membrane broke. I believe but could be wrong that this is normally a check valve elbow and I believe I replaced it with a non-check valve elbow. Could this be the problem?
Am I correct in that this would be the place where the check valve would be somewhere else?
Bottom line I'm thinking I am missing a check valve somewhere along the line.

Again any thoughts would be helpful

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Dillion Ive missed you man, you have always been great help on issues for me. Sure going to miss you around here, hope you arent away long. Anyway I do have a asov yes. I actually even took the one off this Kent marine maxxima and replaced it with one from my old RO unit that I know worked fine when i took it off. Not sure if you saw my almost instant reply to my own thread but I think Im missing a check valve. Do you know where the check valve normal is? Is it usually between the asov and the membrane inlet side?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will still be around from time to time:) You can always text or call if you need help 970-308-3745

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yep thats exactly what I need, dang it. I need the check valve between the membrane and the asov. Thanks a zillion as always man!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I haven't as of yet, still shutting it of manually. Need to see if any of the vendors stock these, which I am guessing they don't. You have any thoughts and or ideas? Update so I did some research and found out that Kent Marine Maximmas have a internal yet removable check valve inside the membrane housing. I had removed it thinking it was a random piece that some how made its way into the housing lol. Any way I put that back in and the ro unit basically goes into a water hammer state and then goes back to continually dumping on the waste side. This will continue until I turn the actual water source off.

Anyway (now that Im out of breath) I believe the check valve is bad and needs to be replaced. Therefore I am looking to get an inline check valve for the RO unit.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Premier always has check valves. I bet aquatic art does also.

Could be no check valve. Could be bad asov. Could be air in the membrane. Or if it was dried out, a bad membrane. Turn the rodi 90 degrees, so the outputs of the membrane are up, for 10 minutes. That will bleed air from the membrane. I would also check the tds after the membrane, before the di. If it is higher than 10 you need a new membrane. I just did all this when i moved because i was having similar issues.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have my RO/DI 4x protected. First, I have this Solenoid before the water gets to the unit.
http://autotopoff.com/new/Solenoids/index.html
it plugs into an apex outlet, and controlled by a float switch. Second, the float switch is redundant. Third, I know when the condition hits to fill my top off tank, it would take no more than 4.5hrs to go from empty to full. So I have an alarm statement on the apex to notify me if the outlet is on more than 4.5 hrs. Lastly, if all this fails. I have my RO/DI tank sitting insid a tupuware tub that has this sensor on it http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-...ak-controller-detector-for-ro-di-systems.html

. If sensing water, it trips and cuts off the water before it goes to the unit. Yes, two shut off values before the water supply hits the unit. Never will I have a flood again.