Robbie's 35 gallon rimless :)

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
so i decided i'm going to make a mini homemade rimless 35 gallon tank :)
i'm going to make everything from the stand to the canopy if i decide to make one.
so heres what I've got..
tank: 35 gallon not drilled 36" L 12"W 21H"

i've tanken the trim off the tank so far resealed it now its going to sit for a few days to dry and settle.
the card board with the blue tape is a cut out so i can make a custom stand and canopy to fit the tank perfectly

this is all i have done so far in one day.

i will update as i build...

any tips on a better way to build the tank PLEASE let me know :)

happy reefing
Robbie View attachment 12577 View attachment 12578 View attachment 12579 View attachment 12580

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nice start! Are you going to leave it rimless even though you're adding a canopy? Also curious what silicone you used, looks like maybe GE silicone II.

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ya i'm not sure on the canopy i think i'm going to run a 4 bulb t5 then later on run leds and do some type of on tank hanging kit and it is indeed GE II

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Not to alarm you but from what I have read if your GE silicone II doesnt say mold and mildew resistant, you might have some issues. If it does say that then you might want to do some research on the use of that silicone ( click here ) as I believe it is not reef safe.

* Disclaimer - I could be completely wrong and others might have actual hands on experience that is different and completely opposite from what Im suggesting. If so I apologize in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Robbie's 35 gallon rimless :)

+1 on the mold resistant stuff. Grainger has some primo stuff.
You can get this stuff from HD, a little cheaper than the AGA silicone.

Ironically, this is the best pic I can do.

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
i just ended up getting petco silicon [attachment=64045:name]it will dry for 24 hours then a wet test tomorrow night. hopefully i get the stand finished build so i can stain it soon

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
heres some pics and an update to anyone following this.
tanks holding water like a champ no leaks or nothing :) sorry for the dirty water the bucket and tub i was taking water from had sand in it

now for the new add on....
so i've decide to take a 10 gallon tank glued to the back of the 35 and i'm going to use the 10 gallon to house a skimmer and a fuge
i'm going to get two 900 gph maxi-jet pumps. i havent decided what type of skimmer i am going to use
there will be only one divider in the 10 gallon to separate the skimmer from the fuge.

now to the stand
i'm going to have to build a special stand so that it can hold both tanks and due to the fact that the 10 gallon is only half the height of the 35 i am going to have to build up to the 10 to support that!

any tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated on the stand skimmer or anything :)
Robbie [attachment=64056:name]

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
alright i've got a question
how much flow would be good in a 10 gallon fuge? i'm thinking of doing duel 70 gph pumps
then going to pick up a hob skimmer for the other side of the tank
any one have any thoughts on this? and the whole tank set up

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Maybe I missed this, but how will the water flow from tank to tank? Is that the thinking behind the two pumps?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

So are you thinking one pump pumping from 30 into 10 and another pumping from 10 to 30?

If so you probably want to rethink that. Because even though they are the exact same pump, they might have different outputs. Which would not work for you because 1 would either flood the sump or drain the sump too fast. Might want to look into a glassholes.com kit or an eshopps or cpr overflow kit.

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
i will deff think and check that out i was looking at a 70 gph at petco that had water controls i was going to give that a shot i will check out that site first tho for sure!

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

CRW Reef;234542 said:
So are you thinking one pump pumping from 30 into 10 and another pumping from 10 to 30?

If so you probably want to rethink that. Because even though they are the exact same pump, they might have different outputs. Which would not work for you because 1 would either flood the sump or drain the sump too fast. Might want to look into a glassholes.com kit or an eshopps or cpr overflow kit.
+100
Might be able to do a homemade overflow, and use one pump. But glassholes kit would be better.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm clueless on flow, but I have made a mistake or two with stands. The best advice I can give is to know what you want in your stand. Do you want a lip around the edges, maybe to place items on? A drink/fragging stuff? Do you want to put a sump underneath? Storage underneath? Do you want to hide your sand depth (maybe by putting trim around it so you can only see the water?)? Do you want to look at the tank while sitting (shorter stand) or while standing (taller stand)?

While you're building, what about a canopy? Are you hanging your lights or hiding them in the canopy? Is light spill going to be an issue? Is heat from the lights going to be an issue? In your case, are you putting a macro in your second tank? How are you going to prevent the light spill from growing algae where you don't want it to (like in your skimmer)?