Rock wall or foam wall on tank help

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should have Majicmike help you out with it. He's the one who figured out the best, cheapest way to do mine.

Ohhh... wait. Nevermind. Bad idea.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Rock wall or foam wall on tank help

Yep Mike would be whom I would seek out to learn how to do a foam wall too.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a build thread on what I used to build several foam rock walls. I believe I started the build thread around 2-2011

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used reef safe silicone and epoxy to attache the foam and the sand to the foam. For the final finish I brushed on allot of epoxy and just covered everything in a half inch of sand and let it cure over night them just dump off the excess. the final product looked and felt lick rock and was just as hard.

Thanks dvenson ill check your build out!

kalgra: that is awesome it came it great!
Whats the first photo of? It looks like stiro foam

Dvensob and kalga
appreciate the help

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
trigger happy;241206 said:
Thanks dvenson ill check your build out!

kalgra: that is awesome it came it great!
Whats the first photo of? It looks like stiro foam

Dvensob and kalga
appreciate the help

Yep regular Styrofoam sheets from Home depot.

Kalgra;241187 said:
I used reef safe silicone and epoxy to attache the foam and the sand to the foam. For the final finish I brushed on allot of epoxy and just covered everything in a half inch of sand and let it cure over night them just dump off the excess. the final product looked and felt lick rock and was just as hard.

well I haft 2 say that's one of the best foam walls I've seen great job !!!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So one thing I have to point out with this. While I did my research and felt pretty comfortable that I was going to be safe with the foam and epoxy this tank never saw any action. As many who have known me through years will tell you. I have a track record of setting tanks up getting them completely ready to for action then decide I don't like something and tear it all down just to start over completely. This was the case with tank. I hated the gigantic center overflow and despite my best efforts to cover it ultimately decided I would not be happy with it in the long run.

So I cant really say for sure if there would have been any issues. It was someone from this forum that bought the tank years ago then disappeared. I had always wanted to see how it turned out but never heard back from the buyer.

This was pretty expensive because I went through about $250 in Z-Poxy but I also completely encapsulated all the foam with at least 1/4" of epoxy and aragonite sand. this is as far as I got with the tank before tearing it down. I posted this mostly to give some ideas for others but I think dvenson and magicmike can speak the best to the long term success of using these sorts of materials.