Salinity Tester

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I punted my old trusty salinity tester across the room on accident. The new one I got reads that the tank is at 1.028 so I added 2 gallons of water then it read 1.03! what the heck is happening and what other way can I test it?

Luke

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Salinity Tester

Is the refractometer calibrated and did you let it sit for the specified time? How many times did you test? Sometimes if the lense isn't clean it will give it a higher reading

Sent from Earth

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The floats are really easy to mess up a reading, slightest bubble will throw it off. Buy a decent refractometer if you can...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Salinity Tester

^ ditto. About the best you can do (hope for) with a hydrometer is trying to keep a constant salinity. But you have to get ALL the bubbles out!!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Salinity Tester

I bought a hydrometer and the store owner took it and drew a huge line in marker on it. He said "that's 1.024, try to keep it at the line." The line he drew on was at 1.016.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Salinity Tester

I have 3 of the IO hydrometers and all 3 are correct. You need to rinse them out well, and when you are ready to test, fill it up with saltwater, dump it out, refill, and thump it with your finger to knock off any air bubbles. Ive had one for 4 years, broke it twice and glued it back together and it still reads correct.

Sent from my C771

Luke.Fraizer;232725 said:
it is just one of the cheap ones that has the float.[/QUOT

Bubbles on ALL "floating type" hydrometers can throw readings off. If it's the cheap glass ones, just look for bubbles when measuring. If you see bubbles, than a light tapping or shaking usually eliminates them. If it's the plastic ones like Coralife or Instant Ocean, they MUST be "cured" before using. That means soaking in saltwater for at least 24 hours before using. That will help to eliminate bubbles and if bubbles form on the pendulum, just a light tap usually will eliminate them. Even a refractometer can be inacurate if you don't keep it calibrated!

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have some D&D refractometers that are pretty affordable. Come into the store and I will get you a deal on one. See you soon.

Vince (GWA)