Seeding sand

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’m going to be downgrading my system and not looking to use the old sand. However I already have a bag of new sand and instead of it just sitting around waiting what’s the best way for me to keep it contained in the sump and start seeding it now? Only thing I’ve really come up with is to put it in a pillow case and throw it in the sump…. Any issues with that or any other ideas?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are the two tanks going to run simultaneously for any period of time?

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Just cut the top off the bag, and then slowly immerse that into the sump while mostly holding the open top closed so that the water slowly fills it. Then gently just set it on the bottom and let the top fully open. Make sure its sitting so it wont fall over and dump then sand and then it should be pretty easy to remove and put it in the new tank later.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just cut the top off the bag, and then slowly immerse that into the sump while mostly holding the open top closed so that the water slowly fills it. Then gently just set it on the bottom and let the top fully open. Make sure its sitting so it wont fall over and dump then sand and then it should be pretty easy to remove and put it in the new tank later.
wonder if I’d be able to cut it length wise real slowly in the tank? that way I don’t have to keep it from falling over or just lean it secure and call it good?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah hopefully not for long but they will overlap.

Ps. I tried to find your new 60cube build and wasn’t able to. How’s that tank doing?
Then like others said, bucket or open bag will seed it some. You can get more seeding by adding some detritus to the new sand from the old tank while they are running simultaneously.

The R2R links all got killed with the site update. Looks like thread numbers changed. They are updated now. Still haven't gotten around to adding my code to the thread for the 60g yet, but it's all really similar to the 65g.

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
wonder if I’d be able to cut it length wise real slowly in the tank? that way I don’t have to keep it from falling over or just lean it secure and call it good?
what ever works. You really dont even need to open it all the much, just cut off a little bit on 2 corners should be enough to just let the water flow into it some. Not like it need strong flow or anything, just a little bit to let the water in so the bacteria gets to work is all you need