Shane's I.M. SR-120g Shallow Reef Tank

Hey guys, been lurking and posting here and there basically since i moved to colorado about 4 months ago. I basically and broke down my 110g 4 foot tank from my cali home and put all the livestock i was keeping in a nano cube for a week or so until I was ready to make the drive. I got up on the last day at 5am and started bagging up all the fish and corals from the 24g, took me a couple hours to get it broken down, bagged up, and packed into the car along with most of my other stuff. The drive took me 22 hours and i hadn't slept in about 40 hours by the time i got to my new apartment and set the tank up,acclimated corals, put sand/rock back in, etc. I wanted to save as much ofthe biological growth i had accumilated over the past few years so i brought all the refugium contents and as much rock and sand as i could fit in the cube.

Fast forward a couple months, I found a house in the springs, and started looking for a new tank. I ended up going with the Innovative Marine SR-120. I wasn't the biggest fan of the AIO on a big tank, but I couldn't resist the unique footprint and a good price. I moved everything over from the nano cube and added a lot more sand and rock. The tank went thru a very short mini cycle but now parameters are normal and tank looks great. It was definitely a pain doing 2-3 tank moves in a matter of months but it was definitely worth it in the end for me. It's cool to still have the purple tang i've had for 5 years that made the trip room cali with me..as long as other fish and corals I grew out from frags. Definitely feeling re-energized as far as my dedication to the hobby goes! Had a great time at my first MACNA this past weekend too...Timing worked out good for me as far as coming out here!

Anyways, enough rambling, here are some pics of my new tank as well as some of my previous ones:

My old 40g

The nano cube i holding tank, when 120 was being set up.

And a bunch more pics of the new 120 from a couple weeks ago...

Scolys I picked up ay MACNA last weekend

I'll keep doing photo updates, also working on an HD video of the tank. If anybody in the Springs has corals for sale or is interested in trades contact me!

Woops, posted the wrong picture of the 28g nano holding tank. Here's that one:

Thanks. I love the look of the kessils and have been using them for a couple years but they drop like flies on me! I'm lucky if I get 6 months out of em.. I'm thinking of switching over to Radions.

It's decent, still not what you get from mh but the colors you get from the new 360's are really nice.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow I have been considering the IM 39 gallon but after seeing your 120 I think Im sold. Hows the filtration and what not? It looks amazing, how long have you had it set up?How much did you pick the tank and stand up for? Awesome pics and welcome to Colorado.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Love those tanks, they are very sexy, and your aquascape and livestock is complements it well. Cant believe you kept all that in a nano for that long. Look forward to seeing it grow out well, but looks like oyu need a 4th light over that thing

This wasn't all in the nano, the tank has been set up about 2 months and probably 50% of the livestock has been added sicne then. It definitely helped that ive had some fo this liverock in ym various systems for upwards of 5 years. It really seems to help seed a tank well whenever I have to move or change tanks.

AS far as the SR-120, I love the look and size of the tank, and there is a lot fo space in the back. But the back chambers dont function rigth for me. You have to overfill it otherwise the sound of the water overflowing is unbearable. Plus mine surges a little if I keep the water level where it would seem like it should go (judging by baffle setup). I overfill it and it quiets it down a bit, but no matter how I set it up, the back chamber doesn't really function the way its supposed to. I turned the middle chamber into a refugium. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the remaining space. I'm looking at s]different skimmers and reactors right now. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at the ghost skimmers, just been hearing a lot of mixed reviews.

Also really wanna get a custom canopy made for this tank, but I am in no ways a handyman...Anybody know someone in the springs that could do the job? Would obviously be willing to accommodate them more than fairly. Thanks for the feedback guys!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya, I have looked at those tanks and wondered the same thing, What to do with the space back there. My thoughts was maybe just remove the back panels and give more tank room or just make it a refuge +gfo and carbon media space and put a sump underneath it.

Yeah I've been thinking about putting in a sump put it would have to be something vertical between the supports so it would be too big. probably 10-20g. I may just get some small reactors and skimmer to put in the back chamber and put a bigger fuge down below. I just really wanna get a canopy made to cover up all the equipment and cords sticking out of the back chamber. These tanks are designed to be sleek looking but having a bunch of stuff sticking out of the back of the tank doesn't really fit that theme IMO.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
how would you put a sump underneath it?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Following along as I'm doing tank moves to. Looks great so far. How bad was your mini cycle/how much new rock sand did u add? Was the rock already cycled or dry? Thanks!!!

Would have to keep the water level high enough in the back to add a hob drain to sump or would have to be drilled. I have no clue what I'm gonna do. Things seemto be doing well for now though. I've been treating it more like a nano tank as far as water changes and what not since it doesnt have a skimmer on it yet and not a large fuge.

bruby

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would like to come by some time and check out the setup. I will start setting mine up in a week or two. I was looking at it today and have some thoughts on a fuge.

@bruby- hell yeah man come on by. If it fits the 120 I'll take it!

@Miah2bzy - It wasn't too bad at all. Had some diatom blooms for the first month or so but once the bacteria caught up it disappeared. I had about 40 lbs or live rock from my old tank and added about another 60. I'd say 25% of the sand came from my old tank and all the rest was brand new fresh out of the bag.

Picked up some really sweet stuff from CoralXpressions this week! Was blown away by the prices and the quality was great! Pics coming soon!!