Sideways 55g kind of a weird project

Bored waiting for my taxes to come back so I can start my new build so have an idea.

I have a wealth of 55g tanks that I dont plan on using for much besides taking up space.

One of them is a bottom drilled aga tank in pretty good shape, but center brace is melted. I removed all the bracing and plastic off the top and was getting ready to put a new one on there when I had an idea. I had it on its side and thought it made a good shape for a frag tank.

Not sure how to implement it though.
If you turn a 55g on its side its dimensions are pretty decent.
Tank would be 48 long 21 Wide and 12 inches deep.

I have enough extra tanks where I would just be cutting the bottom of one tank and silicone it to the top of another after removing one of the 48in panes of glass.

Seems simple enough aside from two problems.
The plastic bracing would have to be removed from all pieces and some sort of fabricated brace would have to be on the bottom and top.

The top would be easy, just something to keep the glass from bowing this could be just a squared wood frame for support and possibly a cross bar. The cross bar was actually thinking of using coated wire braid to eliminate shadows. If I used wood for the frame adding the braided wire would be pretty simple.

The bottom is a little trickier. 48x21 for a bottom pain seems like it might be weak for that much water. Is there any way I could brace the bottom to take some of the pressure off the glass. Ive seen quite a few tanks that have bottom plastic bracing which touches the glass in certain areas im assuming to relieve some of the pressure.

If ya have any input please let me know, Im bored waiting for my taxes to get back to start my new tank so was playing with ideas for existing equipment.

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the bottom of standard glass 55's was a special type of tempered glass that holds more weight than the sides do. That might cause additional problems if the sides aren't made of a grade of glass meant to hold that much weight.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
dirtefish;138256 said:
Damn. Well ty for the info before I cut stuff up lol

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
I thought Scott was saying that there is a difference on how the glass is set, as in, on top or to the side of the bottom peice. Know what I mean? Hope Scott can chime in soon.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know much about how the glass pieces are set on the 55 but this sounds pretty interesting, can't wait to see some progress

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
i have a 55 so when i get home i can see how the bottom is set.....if nobody else chimes in befor i get home

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could sell me one of the 55s for cheap. Then you wouldn't have to come up with these crazy ideas.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd;138371 said:
You could sell me one of the 55s for cheap. Then you wouldn't have to come up with these crazy ideas.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol then what would I do at night when I cant sleep :)

Would be a shame to cut up the aga reef ready tank though. Has no brace on the top and will bow without it. If ur intetested pm me a trade or price. Im a horder so I love trades lol

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PM'd

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
if cdrewferd doesnt take it ill shoot you an offer. it RR right? im running duel over thebacks and let me tell you i can barley sleep at night..lol let me know

tlsrcs;138591 said:
if cdrewferd doesnt take it ill shoot you an offer. it RR right? im running duel over thebacks and let me tell you i can barley sleep at night..lol let me know
If he does take it not sure if ur intetested but also have a 72g bow front rr as well with stand, no canopy and a damaged center brace. The brace on that was harder to find but I did find a supplier. I just hadnt decided to rebrace it or diy my own using coated braided wire.
Tank is decent though, light cleaning scratches and brace damage. Stand is a light pine color if ur interested ill shoot a pic of it

rghering

Cleaner Shrimp
I've had the idea of building a tank from scratch for some time, soon I might get the chance. The windows at my office are 1/2" thick OLD pane glass, I mean OLD.. they were installed in the 1950's.. He's been talking about putting newer windows in.. Mind you these are 6 foot tall by 8 foot long.. If we can get the glass out without breaking it.. Hello fish tank time..