Sponge - Good or Bad?

rjl45

Clown Fish
I have a sponge that has grown very quickly in the last month. It started growing under my chalice around 5 months ago, but in the last month has more than doubled in size. A month ago it was about the same size as the chalice, and now more than double the size.

My appologies for the terrible photo, taken under incandescent light with phone, but it helps the discussion.

I have read a bit on the topic, and general concensus is that it's fairly common for a chalice and sponge to grow together and probably a good thing for the aquarium. I wanted to reach out to our community and ask for your opinion. Is it good or bad? Thank you in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My opinion is that sponge is good in the respect of helping to keep a healthy tank (good filter feeder), but bad if you don't like the aesthetics of the sponge. I have some sponge in my tank I don't like because its ugly and I let it go to long and now can't get rid of it. My advice is leave be if you like it and get it out now if you don't.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO leave it as sponges are a great filter feeder. But I would pop the chalice off that rock and move it elsewhere and keep the sponge separate. Just a note, if you expose sponges to air, they will get air pockets stuck in them and they will slowly die.

rjl45

Clown Fish
Thank you both for your comments. Honestly, I'm on the fence. It's kind-of cool to have a healthy sponge, but the color is terrible and it is not that attractive. On the flip side, it helps filter the water and adds to the biodiversity in my system.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would leave it. Not all life is beautiful, especially in the sponge category, but it all has its place and its all awesome imo. This one in particular is generally very beneficial as well. Sponges are pretty amazing all around, they are one of the most basic forms of life on the planet yet they and can grow into some of the most intricate and amazing shapes you have ever seen. Although admittedly, most likely just grow in big blob'ish balls, but still pretty neat imo

rjl45

Clown Fish
Thank you for you comments. I appreciate it. Everyone agrees, this is a good hitchhiker. It has been interesting to watch it grow over time. When I first noticed it, I thought maybe I had a little air in the superglue I used to mount the chalice frag to the rock, and it was bubbling out. But after a week, it started to develop the structure and once I saw a vent, I knew I had a sponge. It has really exploded in the last month, because I have started to dose phytoplankton. I really want a couple bright red and purple sponges. Hmmm... maybe I'll start looking. Thanks again all!