Sump/refuge

I'm setting up a 90g RR bowfront. I have a 40g long I wanna use as a sump/refuge. Any input on height and width of the baffels? Rock rubble and sand? Minimum gph return. And what do you guys think about filter socks? Iv heard good and bad about them. Thanks

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Baffles can be any way you need them to be, but you build the first one highest and then successively shorter. The easiest way to baffle is along the entire width of the tank. So basically you could divide you tank into 3 or 4 areas depending on what you need.
I'd say 1200 to 1500 gph flow would be good in your situation, from sump to tank. with a ball valve in place to dial it back if need be. You'll also need a few power heads in your display

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What are you intending the primary function if your sump to be? Is it going to house a skimmer, be extra live rock storage, macro algae grow area, reactor area? Lots of options and sometimes requirements for baffle placement based on what's going in there.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Also what type of tank are you planning to keep? Fish only, mixed reef, Sps dominate reef, softies reef? That choice will also depend on how you want to setup your sump.

My 40 is set up with hob and I got a hob skimmer as well.got a few different Zoe's and 4 or 5 differs corals I'm nt sure what they are. I wanna go mostly softies maybe some sps later on once I get the hang of things. Depends on my lighting right? It's had corallife 4 bulb cf for about 6 months. Just got a 2-150w mh with 2 96w cf. wanted to go t5 but couldn't pass up the price. Basically wanna know what's gonna be best refuge to keep any coral I want if need be.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
HOB? I'm confused? Maybe some pictures of the equipment you have might help? Here's a picture of my 40 breeder sump/ refugium:

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
id say use 9" baffles for your skimmer section and space it far enough to have enough room for upgrade to a real skimmer later. The other baffles id go about 8" so the water level will be lower than your skimmer section. You can always adjust height of your return pump in case you need to adjust for flood control.

Ya that was next question. The in sump skimmer has to be submerged at least 8" then? I'll upload so pics of what I got when I get a few minutes to figure it out. Thanks guys

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
cuddler712;194618 said:
Ya that was next question. The in sump skimmer has to be submerged at least 8" then? I'll upload so pics of what I got when I get a few minutes to figure it out. Thanks guys
A brief guide to uploading pics, http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271.

Your skimmer depth will depend on what skimmer you get. You don't want to make the baffles 8" and you end up needing 10". On the other hand, I've seen a very successful reef kept with a hob coralife skimmer on a 75.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Are you using the tapatalk app? Also if you use the photobucket app, select the picture you uploaded and then select view links

Then copy the IMG code and paste into the post.

I am using tapatalk on a droid so it may look different on a stinking apple :)

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;194558 said:
Hang on back skimmer and filter he's saying. Hob-hang on back.
I know what HOB means! I was confused because I thought he was asking where to put his HOB skimmer and filter in his sump!!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wonder if you could plumb one to each side and have them on a wavemaker? Then you'd get a nice wave action in your tank from the return pumps!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I may be stating the obvious but you also want to make sure you account for your transit volume, which is how much of your tank will drain into the sump in a power outage (unless you're using check valves, which many people recommend against). I ended up doing a spreadsheet to figure out how to maximize and get as much fuge volume as possible without using all my transit volume space, haha, that was overboard. Then after ordering all the cut glass I changed my mind and went baffle-less, as I didn't want to limit myself. I just built an eggcrate basket for my microalgae, a big rubbermaid container for DSB, an eggcrate platform for my skimmer, and threw everything into the sump roughly in sequence. Of course you can't get perfect inline water flow through all sections, but I love the fact that I can do huge/fast water changes completely from my sump without screwing around with baffles. Just a thought.