Sunburst vs rbta

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
opakapaka;296305 said:

Mines look exactly like this. Although I don't really see the yellow tips in this picture.

Hate to say it, this picture sucks. LOL. This actually looks like my rainbow, the colors in this pic seem to be way off if its a Sunburst.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Which proves the fact that a picture could be deceiving. if your Rainbow has yellow/light orange in it i would be happy with it :D

My current rainbow is mostly pink, no yellow or orange really...

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
As DJKMS stated the colors can vary quite a bit, heck I've had one that turned completely black on me while the others keep their colors.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Naming color morphs of the same species is a marketing tool which can help sellers and consumers to get the specific product they are after for a fair price. Making these descriptions vague with areas for interpretation can only serve the seller.

"Sunburst" defines a specific color morph within the Entacmaea quadricolor species which has a multitude of defining characteristics. If it morphs to exhibit different colors, it's no longer the same morph.

This one might have some lineage in the sunburst family, but that doesn't give it the distinction permanently.

Compare it to this one and the distinction is pretty clear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So from what I'm seeing here, are Shelby's NOT Sunbursts?

I see no yellow tips in his pics or videos. I see none on mine.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So hypothetical question...Let us say that Both Shelby and the dude in parker had actual sunburst and could trace the linieage back to the original sunburst. And Neither of them have yellow tips...it somehow morphed.

All of a sudden they are no longer sunburst? Even though they are super amazing specimens minus the yellow tips?

I mean if the sunburst can morph why are the tips excluded from morphing?

Last edited by a moderator:

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have never personally seen a sunburst lose its yellow tips. Look at the pictures I linked above, I had a baby of a sunburst go completely rose but still have yellow tips.

IMO, honestly, at the end of the day its still a Entacmaea quadricolor. If you are happy with your purchase then who gives a crap if it is a "True Colorado Sunburst". It all boils down to what makes you happy. The only caution I would throw out there is to make sure that you represent it properly, even then, if someone decides to drop $300+ on a sunburst and end up with a rainbow is it the sellers fault for misrepresenting it or is it the buyers fault for not doing their homework on their purchase??? I dunno....

btw, a quick google search shows hundreds of color variations...
https://www.google.com/search?q=bub...mMygGV5oCQDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=888

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Actually I'm totally happy with my purchase "sunburst" or "rainbow".

What I'm trying to do is make sure I know what to call mine when it splits. I have a nano and will have to sell them off everytime i get a split and don't want to be a seller who is misrepresenting what i'm selling.

I went out and purchased some yellow dye and will work towards teaching my BTA to morph. ;)

djkms;296325 said:
I have never personally seen a sunburst lose its yellow tips. Look at the pictures I linked above, I had a baby of a sunburst go completely rose but still have yellow tips.

IMO, honestly, at the end of the day its still a Entacmaea quadricolor. If you are happy with your purchase then who gives a crap if it is a "True Colorado Sunburst". It all boils down to what makes you happy. The only caution I would throw out there is to make sure that you represent it properly, even then, if someone decides to drop $300+ on a sunburst and end up with a rainbow is it the sellers fault for misrepresenting it or is it the buyers fault for not doing their homework on their purchase??? I dunno....

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
I have real Sunbursts and Roses in my tank, I'll try to take some pics. But Mike's link above is pretty much the deal. The Sunburst is more yellow/orange-ish, while the Roses are very dark pink. I'm gonna setup a 29g with the Suns on one side and the Roses on the other, we'll see how long they stay put, heh.

Anyone know if they have any issues if they're intermingled, touching? Probably not I know, but just making sure. I've heard some (rare) stories they can conflict/sting each other. Who knows...

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;296331 said:
I have real Sunbursts and Roses in my tank, I'll try to take some pics. But Mike's link above is pretty much the deal. The Sunburst is more yellow/orange-ish, while the Roses are very dark pink. I'm gonna setup a 29g with the Suns on one side and the Roses on the other, we'll see how long they stay put, heh.

Anyone know if they have any issues if they're intermingled, touching? Probably not I know, but just making sure. I've heard some (rare) stories they can conflict/sting each other. Who knows...

I don't think we are worried about RBTA's. I think we're trying to determine if mine and Opa's nems are Sunbursts...

Based on my pic, BRIGHT orange, it's not a RBTA, but seems like it's not quite a Sunburst, so what should it be called?

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
One more thing...when i asted Ki (Keys Island) if he thought mine was a real one. He said he thought it was even without the yellow tips. He mentioned it would probably turn yellow as it got bigger. I guess time will tell...

Also in one of Shelby's threads someone mentioned that his was starting to color up and the yellow was coming in on the tips.

EDIT: my pictures are horrible so I wouldn't hold it against Ki if he is wrong...I am not going to yank the anemone out and take it in to the shop for an ID.

djkms;296310 said:
Which proves the fact that a picture could be deceiving. if your Rainbow has yellow/light orange in it i would be happy with it :D

My current rainbow is mostly pink, no yellow or orange really...

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine's is an offspring of a buddy of mines that bought it from Ki about 10 years ago as a sunburst.

Munch;296334 said:
I don't think we are worried about RBTA's. I think we're trying to determine if mine and Opa's nems are Sunbursts...

Based on my pic, BRIGHT orange, it's not a RBTA, but seems like it's not quite a Sunburst, so what should it be called?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;296304 said:
Seth, your rainbow has bright orange tentacles? I have a rainbow as well, with lighter green base, going out to pinkish tentacles. There is a day n night difference between my two nems.

Here is a pic of mine: Orange and green with speckled base. For nems, my definition for rainbow nem is that it has 2 or more distinct colors. They look identical to Shelby's "sunbursts" under blues.
This is a cellphone pic.