Tank opinions needed

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have been in the process of completely remodeling my house over the last couple of years and have finally gotten to a room that really needs a bigger tank in it (60" x 32" x 30" about 240 gal.) :rockon: However, I don't have any experience working with a custom tank manufacturer or purchasing from the tank companies on the internet. So my questions are... Who have you bought bigger tanks from and how was your experience? Who sells quality tanks at a reasonable price? Who should I avoid? What tips can you give me about buying a bigger tank. (I have been gathering the equipment for it over the last year so I am pretty much down to buying the tank) Thanks for your input!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Last edited by a moderator:

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glass Cages are somewhat cheap and utilitarian. Some people really hate them. Nobody seems to love them. Most people think that they got what they paid for. They have reviews and threads all over the internets.

Deep Sea Aquatics used to make custom tanks. No idea if they do still.

If you can make a "standard" tank work, then I would suggest this. Custom is just for you - even though people advertise custom as a positive selling point, it is a negative on resale.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I went through the process of looking for a custom size aquarium, in the end I found the size I wanted as a stock item from cadlights. It wasn't a big tank, 70 gal, but I can share my experience with getting price quotes. I am ranking them from best to not so best quality below.

1. Reefsavvy: owners name is felix, does awesome work, glass is very thick which I personally liked, has a lot of options, but priced accordingly. Takes a while to get a quote as I think he is staying very busy.

2. Miracles: Almost went with them, price was just below reefsavvy. Reputation of very good quality, and responded to quotes and info very fast.

3. Cadlights: I know they do custom sizes, as well as some stock sizes. good quality, good prices. I didn't have any problems but I have heard their customer support is lacking. Due to the price, it was a stock tank, ended up buying their 70 artisan, just the tank no stand, and I am very happy.

4. CTC (coast to coast aquariums): got a quote from them. From what I heard they seem to be good quality, but I didn't dig too deep. they do runs specials occasionally as I have gotten emails, (i.e. free starfire upgrade)

5. I did get a quote from several local stores. They came in close if not higher than some of the makers on this list. I think they were getting them quoted somewhere in TX???

6. Glasscages: I found they had quite a few unhappy customers so I eliminated them from my list pretty fast.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Craigar;339676 said:
I would definately go talk to chris on that 250 he has its a sexy tank
+1 awesome tank, and with a 5x3 footprint, it would likely fit perfect in that space

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks for all the info! I have seen that tank at aquatic art before but never looked at it closely, I will have to go check it out Friday.