Test kit recommendations

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of setting up a mixed reef tank and am looking for some advice on test kits. I have seen very good reviews of the various Salifert and Elos tests, but they get pretty expensive when buying individually and they don't seem to make cheaper bundled kits. I found a Seachem basic test kit that includes PH, Alkalinity, free/total ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for $33 (vs almost $90 buying the same Salifert tests separately). Is there enough of a difference in quality to warrant buying the Salifert tests? I figure i will replace the individual test kits with higher quality ones as the Seachem ones start to run out.
Also, which other tests should I be getting initially? Phosphate, calcium and magnesium? I remember phosphate kits being pretty tough to read (but that was 10 years ago).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are going to be into this for a long time, then go with the good test kits for the important stuff. I have never been let down by Salifert. I might suggest that you go cheap for Ammonia and Nitrite (petco), but step up to Salifert for Alk and Calcium. By the time that you care about nitrate and phosphate, get a good kit of those too, but this can wait.

Don't sweat PH.

When you are cycling, zero is the only acceptable reading on Ammonia and Nitrite, so the range doesn't matter - not zero is bad and you are not ready. After a while, you will probably never test for these again. You should be getting titration kits for calcium and alk. I have a magnesium test kit that I never use. For nitrate and phosphate, I am looking for clear or not-clear - I don't care how not-clear it is.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I pretty much use the kits I win haha. I've really like Elos kits myself but to be honest I do the drip tests once every week or two. Inbetween I do use those dip strips for a general idea of my parameters since they test 5 things at once. They're not the most accurate but they aren't far off either.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
API for ammonia nitrate and nitrite. Salifert for alk calc mag phos.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Hanna checkers are really good for alk. Kinda pricy, but its useful to get a quantitative value when you're setting up dosers and the like.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
kyuubichan218;262254 said:
The Hanna checkers are really good for alk. Kinda pricy, but its useful to get a quantitative value when you're setting up dosers and the like.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2
Plus 1 on these. I love my alk. Ends up being cheeper in the long run.