TexSun's Pico Reef

I guess a bit of background is appropriate here... For the longest time I've wanted to do a nano reef tank. At one point a few months back I even had all the equipment I needed for my little project, but then my new job/move to CO got in the way of keeping aquariums and everything had to go. Lurking around, I found an awesome community of local reefers & that ReefStock is coming quick. What an awesome opportunity to start this little project I've been wanting to do for so long. So I went shopping.

Equipment:

Fluval Spec V
Fluval ~80gph pump (stock)
Hydor ~300gph pump (upgraded 2nd pump, installed on 2nd outlet)
50w heater
Panorama Pro X2: Wht/Blu + necessary hardware
Koralia Nano 240gph

View attachment 11885

Filled: 2/9/13. Added Aragonite & Live rock from LFS. Dumped 1/4 bottle of stability into the sump area.

View attachment 11886

A couple good friends of mine back in Houston are running the same tank, so I took their directive with a few modifications. First, I added a second outlet and hydor pico pump to help increase flow. Next on the list, I need to cut a piece of acrylic to slip into my sump area to help create a true skimming action trough the grates & block this silly little slit Fluval put into the sump wall.

Thanks for coming by my little section of the reef we all love! I hope to keep this thread updated with lots of pics....

Hopefully installing my ATO tonight, updates to follow.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
TexSun's Pico Reef

Any idea of livestock or coral you are going to put in it.

303travism;227113 said:
Any idea of livestock or coral you are going to put in it.
I'm thinking that I'll stock it with easy corals like zoas, palys n such. Mostly going with inverts, may have ONE small fish. Like a goby/shrimp pair.

ATO installed. It's just a float valve plumbed into a 2.5gal water jug from wal-mart with a gravity fed drip. I'm glad I found a little float valve that would fit the sump area. Works great for its application.

[attachment=63830:name]

[attachment=63829:name]

Next I need to build an arm to mount my LEDs to.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: TexSun's Pico Reef

TexSun;228833 said:
ATO installed. It's just a float valve plumbed into a 2.5gal water jug from wal-mart with a gravity fed drip. I'm glad I found a little float valve that would fit the sump area. Works great for its application.

View attachment 12015

View attachment 12014

Next I need to build an arm to mount my LEDs to.

Where did you find one that small and the clip?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Modded the original Fluval LED Arm to accomodate my Ecoxotics. I plan to paint the entire fixture black this weekend.

[attachment=63862:name]

[attachment=63863:name]

Hmmm... somehow my lil clown slipped into the overflow sump area. Kind of confused, I'm unsure how he squeezed back there. Going to net him out when I get home.