Waterbox 220.6 Dream Build

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Well, a lot has happened in a month.

The 75g where my fish had been living had to be taken down. The return pump died, and there were two mysterious fish deaths - plus it wasn't located at my house. So I decided to just tear it down and move the animals over. Pulled one of the lights off the tank and set up a coral QT tank in the garage - they'll stay out there until the main tank is ready to receive them.

The remaining fish got moved into the big tank. Two black clowns (plus their anemone rock since it wouldn't fit in the coral QT), a melanarus wrasse, a 6 line wrasse, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, and a yellow tang. Its not the way I wanted to introduce the fish, but its ended up working out.

Since the yellow tang was in and getting established, it forced me to pick up my other tangs quicker than I'd originally planned. But they've all been added and in the tank for a couple weeks now, and everybody is getting along. They're all juuuuust about the same size, which was lucky. Fish list currently is:

Yellow tang
Desjardini Sailfin tang
Hippo tang
White tail tang (yay!!)

Flame angel

Melanarus Wrasse
6-Line Wrasse

Yellow Watchman Goby (pistol shrimp is probably dead)
2 black clowns
All 15 of the chromis (still!)

Somewhere along the line, ich was introduced to the tank. Only the tangs ever really showed it, but I've been feeding them medicated food twice a day. Everyone is fat and healthy, with nobody currently having spots (though there were some a couple days ago). Just something I'm going to have to deal with.

Other than the nems, the only other coral in the tank is a green leather that wasn't doing well in the coral QT. Still no coralline in the main tank yet, so I won't be moving the rest of the corals over for a while. Done with fish for now - decided against a purple tang after watching the sailfin and yellow work it out. Not sure what else I'd even want. The tank has a good amount of fish activity right now.

On the equipment front, I got the lights dialed in to a more blue setting that the husband wanted. And it does really make the leather and nems pop. The super-blue run in most coral shops hurts my eyes, so we had to reach a good compromise. I also set up the apex and all its paraphernalia. Haven't brought the trident online since there's no calcifying corals yet. But I did set up the auto water changes, and that's been pretty nice (once I got it working). Changes about 3 gallons every night, working out to about 10% over the course of the week. On the equipment front, I still need to build the cover for the top (Red Sea kit was missing corner pieces that they had to send out), and get the ATO set up with the brutes in the garage for an infinite supply of top off.

Also still need to decide about more flow on the tank. I liked the mp10 idea, but realized the glass is too thick (its 3/4 inch thick). So the 40's are staying on the back wall, and I'm unsure still what will go on the side. We'll see.

Pics incoming.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Coral setup in the garage:

Updated photos:

This is where you’ll find me most afternoons. Watching the fish and skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Maybe a bit more blue on the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Been a while. Time for some updates.

Flame Angel died inexplicably. Was doing well, and then decided not to eat on a Thursday and was dead on Saturday morning. Not sure what happened. Will be on the lookout for another one though, as it was really a beautiful fish.

The watchman goby also had to be rehomed. The white tail tang decided to pick on him, and drive him out of his home most nights. So he went down the road to a new home with friendlier inhabitants.

Also received a little blue and yellow damsel (named Sergei) who was being a terror and needed a home with bigger fish. He’s been well behaved so far.

As far as corals, the coral holding tank in the garage was too heavy for the table it was sitting on. The table began to bow under the weight. Which stinks, because the corals were all growing and looking good. So I moved the corals into the display earlier than I’d wanted to, though they all seem to be ok. Haven’t lost anything, though it’s too early to see growth just yet. Since the corals went into the tank, I brought the trident back online. Numbers are ok with the auto water changes, but now I have to start looking into calcium reactors and such.

And pictures. Tried to get pictures of all the corals, but the fish thought I should be feeding them instead. Little freeloaders.

Just regular cell phone pics. We ain’t fancy over here.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Not fancy? Pretty fancy tank for being plain Jane! Looks good!

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Update time.

Tank has been going along pretty smoothly overall. Got a calcium reactor from LifeReef and got that online and dialed in. Big thanks to Mike for walking me through that process. I don't know why, but that particular piece of equipment seemed so overwhelming for me. Now that its online and running, it seems actually pretty simple. But I had some sort of mental block and would just get super overwhelmed anytime I thought about getting it online. Tank clearly needed it though, as the alkalinity was down to 6.8 at one point. Now its hovering around 8.52 for alk, 470ish for calc, and 1350 for mg. All according to the trident, which might be my favorite piece of reefing equipment ever.

My husband won the lighting battle. So I made a couple changes to the program so that it runs much more blue in the evenings before bed. This really does make the corals pop. Its fun to watch their colors change over the course of the day as the whites ramp down and the fluorescent colors come out.

Yesterday was crazy frustrating. The fish have all been doing well. Pecking order seems to have been established, and everyone was growing. I was working on trying to feed more, as the corals all look a little pale and I suspect there aren't enough nutrients in there for them. I say all this just to emphasize that I've been paying extra close attention to the tank recently, and feeding a lot.

And then on Saturday, I woke up to the white tail tang dead on the sand.

SO FRUSTRATING. We pulled him out, and he was just big and fat. And dead. No idea what happened. Doesn't seem like there's any other fish in the tank who could've killed him. And naturally, it has to be my very favorite fish that dies this way. This hobby sometimes....

Next project is turning the waterbox ATO reservoir (which I don't use) into a satellite tank for a larger fuge. Need to get an overflow for it and get it drilled, but it should be a nice little addition to the system.

Photo dump incoming.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Happy plate coral. Under the rock is the urchin (wearing some shells) who’s been reorganizing anything not glued down.

Blue acro and Walt Disney frag. Both have been growing quite well, and don’t seem to be washed it at all (unlike most of the other sticks).

Green hairy mushroom decided to split. Very cool to watch. Same process as a nem. Mushrooms aren’t really my thing, but this one was given to me. And I really like it.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Tank looks really good!

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Current fish list:

Yellow Tang
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Hippo Tang

Melanarus Wrasse
Six Line Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Red Fairy Wrasse (not sure what kind)

Flame Angel
Blue/Yellow Damsel
Banghai Cardinal
2 Black clownfish
15 (!) chromis

Also made a coral list on a word document with pictures, dates, and where I got each of them from. Its the only way I can keep track of what some of these are named. Plus its nice to look back and see how much each one has grown.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Made a fairly significant plumbing change recently. It was all Mike’s idea.

The tank came with a 17g ato reservoir which is in the left-most cabinet. But I don’t use that since I ran a line out to the RO brute in the garage. 55g reservoir has been working great.

Which meant I had an empty cabinet and empty, very nice little tank. So Mike had the idea to plumb it into the system as a fuge. So that’s exactly what I did. Waterbox included a manifold off the return pump with the standard plumbing. So I hooked up a tube from the manifold to go over to the 17g new fuge tank.

Mike came over to drill the tank for me and help install an overflow box.

Then we put it under the tank and ran the plumbing back from the overflow box to the sump. This will help alleviate quite a few problems I was having in the sump from the fuge light spillage and the skimmer not fitting quite right.

Before the skimmer went back in:

Had to really cram the kessil in there. We raised the tank so it would overflow back into the main sump. Didn’t think about how that would affect the light. But now the light is protected from skimmer-gone-crazy salt spray, and it still lights up most of the tank.

Skimmer back in and actually sitting correctly.

All cabinet shot. I’ll take the fuge door off in the future so I can always see it. Hopefully it’ll turn into more of a display fuge. Or maybe house a special fish or two.

And updated full tank shot (with doors annoyingly open)

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Well I think it looks great!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks good, that should work nicely

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice tank. I've been looking at a waterbox for a future upgrade. Was the refugium in the filter insufficient? I really like their 60" frag and peninsula tanks, but not quite sold on their filters...

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Nice tank. I've been looking at a waterbox for a future upgrade. Was the refugium in the filter insufficient? I really like their 60" frag and peninsula tanks, but not quite sold on their filters...
The skimmer I bought didn’t fit in the skimmer compartment of the sump, so I had to remove the middle wall that separates skimmer from fuge. Not a big deal since I built a box for the macro, but it meant the skimmer got some light from the fuge grow light. And I got tired of having to pull the skimmer and clean algae out of the body.

Truthfully, the 17g top off reservoir was insufficient. I was carrying buckets to top off the tank every 3-4 days. So I ran the top off line out to the RO storage brute in the garage. Then it felt silly having a perfectly nice little nano tank sitting in the cabinet unused. I like the setup now. Maybe get an anglerfish or some seahorses or something like that to keep in there in the future.

Overall, I’m very happy with the tank and waterbox in general.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Just some recent photos. Tank is doing well! Urchin is rearranging anything that hasn’t encrusted.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I love having wonderfully clean glass and admiring the side view of the tank (with begging fish). Just a cool different perspective.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Tank looks great!