1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

What the..

Discussion in 'Newbies Corner' started by kmcmurtry, Dec 9, 2011.

1. kmcmurtry

kmcmurtry Copepod

I got this guy free on a piece of rock. It's soft and pink and seems sort of puffy. It has not moved from its perch since I stuck its little shard of rock into a dead coral to hold it steady in the current earlier in the week. I thought maybe it was an anemone since it came from a tank with RBTA's that had split, but it's still a lump after a few days. Is it possibly a RBTA? To give you some perspective, it is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in length. It appears to be tucked in tighter sometimes than others. It's kind of loosely tucked like a comma when the lights first come on, like kind of drooping/hanging from its foot and then it's sort of puffed the rest of the day into a ball like the pic.

The longer I stare at it, the more it appears to be just on the verge of opening up, doing SOMETHING, and then I realize that's 10 minutes of my life I will never get back. Please tell me what the heck this lump of pink something is? I can't take the suspense anymore, lol.

Also, if you've got a minute, let me know if you think the last pic is ocellaris or true percs. I have gone back and forth on it and don't know anymore. One is a rich candy orange and the other is sort of a paler orange with tinges of black creeping in like he is fading to black? Meh, let me know what you think...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

It's an alien, best to zap it with phaser....:)

Let that guy hang out, he'll come out to play sooner or later. You can do a contest if you'd like

3. dvenson

dvenson Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

To me it looks like part off of a bta but I could be wrong if it was my tank I would let it stay until it got bigger

4. kmcmurtry

kmcmurtry Copepod

Thanks! He's definitely not going anywhere - I'm too excited to see the results, lol

5. kmcmurtry

kmcmurtry Copepod

DVenson, you are correct. It has been opening up the last week or so - much more than this pic, but didn't grab my camera tonight in time before the lights went out:

[​IMG]

6. amonchak

amonchak Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Treasurer

Sweet!!!

7. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Lucky, free bta!

8. dvenson

dvenson Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

sweet hopefully its a sunburst

9. kmcmurtry

kmcmurtry Copepod

It's an RBTA. When another Broomfield recently broke down his tank, I took home 1 RBTA and the little pink glob I posted about here. The RBTA split about a week and a half ago, and I am hoping one of them will walk down the rock they are both hoarding so I can find it a new home. Now I have 3 including the baby glob, and the tank is getting crowded, lol. Getting increasingly difficult to keep everybody far enough away from my other corals.