Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
What test kit are you using?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;361230 said:
What test kit are you using?
Salifert. It expires next year. I've tested it against what the stores tested a few months ago and it was good then.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you tested your fritz salt water before the water change to see what it's at? Do you have a ton of corals in the tank that is dropping so fast? What is the alk level of your top off water?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rplank;361296 said:
Baking soda or baked baking soda?
Just the powder didn't bake it.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Added a lawnmower blenny and 5 astrea snails to the tank this morning. Seem to be adjusting well.
Will the lawnmower blenny eat the hair algae, film, diatoms, etc that are in the tank? Will it go after macro algae or just micros?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Found a small chip in the glass of my 30 nuvo, started to peel off the back plastic to see if there was more and think the fracture is just contained to the one back top corner. Just in case, picking up either a 20L or a 40b tomorrow from petco w the dollar sale.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What eats fish poop?

I recently added a lawnmower blenny to my 60 and it's been going to town on the algae. The picture above is after 3-4 days. I do water changes but can't keep up w him at the rate he's going. Any suggestions? Thanks!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If that's just your frag tank with no sand why not make a canister filter vacuum. This allows you to suck stuff up, trap it in filter floss or whatever and then return the water back to the tank keeping you from having to do water changes.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;361835 said:
If that's just your frag tank with no sand why not make a canister filter vacuum. This allows you to suck stuff up, trap it in filter floss or whatever and then return the water back to the tank keeping you from having to do water changes.
Thank Chad!

Saw your comment so I took extra PVC piping and attached my hose to it, shoved it full of filter floss and then emptied out a few gallons. Worked like a charm.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;361860 said:
Thank Chad!

Saw your comment so I took extra PVC piping and attached my hose to it, shoved it full of filter floss and then emptied out a few gallons. Worked like a charm.
Afterwards I realize I had an old media basket, filled that w filter floss and hooked it to the bucket. My siphon just kept up w my little pump that I was able to keep it going for a good 5 minutes and or nearly all the bottom cleaned off.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;361875 said:
If u want to add a cucumber to ear waste detritus that would help
I'll look into it as I'm still trying to get this tank figured out, getting a bristle tooth tang next Denver visit.
Probably going to add another 50 lbs of live rock I've got cycling in a few weeks and adding a third tank to the system as a refuge and the current 40 as a sump.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
60: Started two part dosing this past week - still trying to get the hang of it. Shout out to shaunv for hinting that the mixing directions were on the side of the jugs (didn't get instructions in the box).
Tested this morning after 3 days of slowly adding in the two part:
Calcium: 490
Alkalinity: 8.9
Was shooting for 420 w the calc and way overshot it with the initial dose but my alk is back in line, it was really low.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seeing growth on the zoa mats already in the past 2 days and my montis have had significantly more polyp extension.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seeking opinions:
I need to change a few things on my 60 frag. I have three options and only enough money for one right now:
1) dosing pumps for calc/alk
2) skimmer
3) gfo/carbon reactor
What would your first upgrade be?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;362964 said:
Number 1'all day!! Have to have stability for corals!!
Looks like I'm upgrading to dosing pumps. Thanks guys!