60 shallow reef

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Multi Tank Syndrome: 60F, 3x20L, 30L, 20H, 40B, 10

Construction across the street coated everything in our garage with dust this week, unfortunately had windows open and were gone for a few hours so inside had coating of dust as well. Had to clean out all tanks in garage (lost 40 gallons of premixed salt water) and then ran carbon and filter socks on all systems in doors for a few days. Wife helped get the rodi station fixed up (can you tell she has her own roll of duct tape?) and we will be covering it with a heavy cloth that can be weighted down from now on:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
timnem70;363230 said:
I think he's talking MEQ
at 3.5 which would be around 9Dkh. Is this accurate
?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;362982 said:
Looks like I'm upgrading to dosing pumps. Thanks guys!
After that, do protein skimmer. Carbon/GFO is not as important and some folks will argue that Carbon and GFO is detrimental to the system because it strips trace elements.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;363301 said:
After that, do protein skimmer. Carbon/GFO is not as important and some folks will argue that Carbon and GFO is detrimental to the system because it strips trace elements.
Met a guy today who had the same skimmer I've got in the garage that I couldn't figure out who showed me what's what. That's going in after the dosing pumps.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

came to Denver to give a review for one of the churches that supports us to be on the western slope. Ended up trading and buying coral as well :) thank you Marc (fly fish) randy (r plank) and Matt (reefermatt). Have a small tank setup to circulate water to keep corals to temp, added air stones to the fish buckets to super saturate for the 4 hr drive home tomorrow. thinking I'll leave the corals overnight in their cups and take them out of their cups at the house tomorrow.

Buckets have a bi-color angel, 3 blue damsels, and a Picasso/mocha clownfish pair. 10 gallon tank has 40+ corals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;363321 said:
came to Denver to give a review for one of the churches that supports us to be on the western slope. Ended up trading and buying coral as well :) thank you Marc (fly fish) randy (r plank) and Matt (reefermatt). Have a small tank setup to circulate water to keep corals to temp, added air stones to the fish buckets to super saturate for the 4 hr drive home tomorrow. thinking I'll leave the corals overnight in their cups and take them out of their cups at the house tomorrow.

Buckets have a bi-color angel, 3 blue damsels, and a Picasso/mocha clownfish pair. 10 gallon tank has 40+ corals.
Wow all that and still no doseing pump?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Haddonisreef;363339 said:
Wow all that and still no doseing pump?
just talked funds with the wife and going to have to wait till Black Friday sales to get a doser.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;363338 said:
Haha this is one of those "you know your an addict when..." Pictures
I forgot to add the two boxes of Fritz salt I picked up as well. Should be set for winter now ;) I'll post a list of all the corals when I get back, there's too many to remember at the moment.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
30 FTS:

Corals: Added a bubble coral (far left) and a handful of ricordeas.
Fish: added a Picasso clown and mocha clown. So far they are interacting with the percula just fine. I tried to get perc out but he was being a bugger.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
60 frag: added a orange lepto, 2 candy canes, multiple new Zoas (a few no names that are amazing), a rainbow ACan, multiple monti caps and digis; 2 yellow tailed damsels and 1 blue devil damsel.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

60F: rearranged some things in tank, added corals to rock work finally, set my rw-8 to low wave mode and moved it to opposite end so it would sweep across a longer section, added a Jaebo wp-25 set to continuous low flow.

Top: green slimer, forest fire digi, purple digi, peach monti cap, setosa.
Middle: chili pepper encrusting monti, blue encrusting monti, yellow scroll, babies breath favia, jack o lantern lepto, speckled fire and ice zoa, blue macaw zoa.
Bottom: Orange wrinkle lepto

Haven't posted a pic of the sump/refuge but here's after today:

Needing to thin out some of my fern calerp as its starting to wander into the heater section. Added a few fans that come on when the halides do as the ballast was getting hot making the rodi Warner than the tank water. Mangroves are growing well and leafing out now.
I found I can fill up my 10 gallon top off and that lasts me for 4-6 days depending on how mic have the heaters have to run.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking great Jeremiah!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;363695 said:
Looking great Jeremiah!
Thanks! Though, Not as good as yours but maybe in a year or two :)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mods please change title to "60 shallow reef":
Well...we ran out of house space today. With the new baby sleeping in a dresser drawer and the boys sleeping on a bed next to ours in our room wife and I decided it was time to move the boys out and the crib into our room. needed to move all the aquariums out of the boys room and condense every down to one tank until we move from here. Have already transferred all fish from quarantine tanks and all corals and remaining fish from my 30L have now all been put into the 60 frag tank. Have moved most corals off racks now and onto the rock to make room for all the new tenants. So far no bickering or foul play by everyone so hoping this will be a decent shallow tank. Have taken all rock out of my 30 and in leui of the Zoa pox that hit that tank earlier in the summer going to be bleaching tomorrow for a week or so.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
60 Shallow Reef Fish:

3 clownfish - percula, mocha, Picasso
3 damsels - 2 yellow tails and 1 blue devil
1 purple fire fish
1 bi-color angelfish
1 lawn mower blenny