The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only thing he didn't do in front of me were those pump intake covers. I'm hoping that removing those will take care of it. I do think this was the first reef tank he worked on, but I'm also sure that he had instructions that there be no metal involved.

I would love to contact him, but he doesn't seem to be around any more.

Hopefully this will take care of the issue, though.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another issue: I had a return pump give out on me the other day. I have two just so this won't be a problem and the other one is working fine until the new one comes in. My issue is this: I like how the tank is running with only one return pump, but I don't like not having a backup running in case a pump dies overnight.

My pumps are running off two different circuits (and I want to keep it that way). Is there some sort of backup switch that I can use that senses whether one pump is working and, if that quits, will turn on the second pump despite the fact that they are running off two different plugs?

Essentially, I want something to do this (please note, not an electrician):

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know much about these kinds of thigs but I think Stugray or Bgrimm would be able to help you with electrical issues? Hope you get it resolved though, would suck for you to lose the backup now!!!!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Instead of sensing the electrical portion of the circuit, I'd think about getting a flow switch to determine if the main pump is running. If an impellor shaft fails, the motor can still run and might not switch over unless you use a flow switch or maybe a pressure switch.

Except this may rule it out:
The EASZ-12 is designed for use with fluids, which contain in excess of 0.1% suspended solids or bubbles, having a size greater than 100 microns.
I think the sensor needs some variations in density for it to be able to sense the speed at which the fluid is flowing past, and if your tank water is too homogeneous it might not work... But then again, with all the spawning you have going on, maybe you have plenty of "suspended solids"...

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with Larry. I'll try and dig up a sensor that may work. Let me see what I can find. I personally like the sensors that have a wheel in the flow but they would need maintenance every so often if the calcium builds up.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have plenty of "stuff" in the water, I wonder if phyto counts? On the other hand, they finally got back to me with a price quote: $1,300. Ouch.

Let me know, Gale. I found a few of them that stuck bits into the water flow that were "biotechnology and food safe" but they were still all stainless. I think even those were running around $800.

I just picked up the new pump today. I guess I have a weekend wet project. :) The pumps don't have gate valves yet, so it should be fun.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just read through 93 pages (took me 2 days actually) and I must say that I'm truly impressed and maybe just a wee bit jealous. Anyways, I'm in Aqua imports at least twice a week during lunch breaks, gonna have to start asking them questions about your location...

Very well done and very well documented. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chad--Thanks, man. It came in on the base rock of a gorgonian. The gorgonian is long gone, unfortunately, but the rock's been there. It's a pretty small clam, only an inch or so.

Boogie--Thanks, but I don't know what you'd take. I have lots of Aiptasia that I'd gladly share with you.... :)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I went to Aqua Imports today and was talking about you and your build...tells me I missed you by 2 minutes...doh..I felt like I just missed meeting a super star...:eek:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I'm not. I'm just a guy who spends too much time and money on his hobby, like pretty much everyone else around here. Sorry I missed you, though.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I stopped in there also. I was looking for a copperband butterfly.
Thanks for the rotifers and snails Andy. Those Columbellid have actually laid eggs already....wooohooo.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;32172 said:
I stopped in there also. I was looking for a copperband butterfly.
Thanks for the rotifers and snails Andy. Those Columbellid have actually laid eggs already....wooohooo.
Gale, do your Columbellid eggs look like this?

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3366

the last post is what it looks like after it hatched. Andy, maybe you can tell me what that snail is if its not a Columbellid. I have so many of them in my tank now and probably about 30-40 egg sacks all in different stages. I can take more picture of the more matured snails if you cant tell by that last photo.

Didnt mean to stray your thread. You can post on my thread of you have an answer.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chad,
They look similar but mine don't have even close to that many yolk sacs. Andy's columbellid eggs had anywhere from seven to nine yolk sacs. The eggs laid in my tank this morning had from 3 to 5 egg sacs (maybe due to acclimation?).

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those Columbellid have actually laid eggs already....wooohooo.
That's what I like to hear! Cool. Glad they might work out. Many inverts do a quick spawn right after introduction to a new tank, maybe as a species-survival technique when they are suddenly in a new situation. The Berghias all did that and are only now starting to lay down eggs again.

Thanks, Aku!