125g LRFO tank to 150g reef build

I got a 150g acrylic tank and am taking down my 125g to make room. this is my first build were i am keeping track. all so what sand should i use. i have had the crushed coral but was thing about going with somting smaller. what would you guys recomend. Nick

125GL

New tank

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

anyone know how to clean this rock befor putting it in the new tank

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice tank! Throw the crushed coral in the trash (ok, maybe use just a weeeeeee lil bit of it to seed your new sand) and switch to regular sand (not the finest one but one step above). Crushed coral has been found to trap bad things and now that your switching tanks out would be the best time to get rid of it.

You really don't want to use old sand in a new set up anyways as it can go anarobic (sp?).

Just my .02c but I'm a know nothing, one of the smarter type people will chime in here quickly i'm sure.

On the cleaning thing, you can take some of the old tank water out, put it in a tub with the rock and go at it with a tooth brush, I used the wife's she didn't mind....or know till after the divorce... =)

Side note: Chrislorenz is looking for a 125g tank with stand if you are interested in selling yours you might send him a pm...bewarned though...hes cheap. =)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;94949 said:
Side note: Chrislorenz is looking for a 125g tank with stand if you are interested in selling yours you might send him a pm...bewarned though...hes cheap. =)
+1.

You could save the old sand and make frag plugs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ohohohoh 125 for sale? for the record im am only a little cheap not alot cheap !

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
leave it dirty dont clean it up.....hehehe is it glass? RR?

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you dont have any corals in your tank, just turn your lights off and cover your tank with a blanket. Fish wont be too bothered by it and it will kill off that algae really fast! Give it a few days like that and you will see a difference.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
yes

rockys_pride;95147 said:
Seed it with coraline from another tank.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
+1 keep calcium and mag in proper ranges

Ok update. got the 125gl tank down set up a 60gl holding tank for live stock. and set the new tank in place.

new tank in place

holding tank

the sump only has one bulkhead for the retern. i am thinking about cutting another one for the gen-x pc40 1190 gph pump to run the skimmer and use a little giant 4 mdq-sc 850gph for the retern.

the skimmer is a MRC MR-2 i have never used one. will it work is i hace the water inled by two 1" bulkheads behind the skimmer and then just truck the retern valve for the open to adjust it. all so is the skimmer stitting to far in the water to work. i will be doing the piping and final work this week. hope to have sand and rock in it this weekend. Nick