75 gallon tank build

So i have a glass 75 gallon oceanic glass tank , with a 35 gallon sump trying to put it all together

1st issue - return pump .. what flow ?

i just bought a 1500 gph overflow from glassholes.com . trying to find a return pump from my sump , can get a good deal on mag 24 , which is rated at 2500 gph i think , i was told i could get another 1500 gph overflow and possibly split the return pump (mag 24 ) into 4 feeds back into the tank and have all the flow i need inside the tank without using extra circulation pumps - ?? how is this affect the sump and its job with this much water movement , and the pretein skimmer? ( I have a tunze 9010 )

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
75 gallon tank build

That's a lot of flow for a 75 gallon. You may still want a power head for some random flow depending on what you want to keep. I'd also think that two returns could handle the mag 24 rather than 4. The thought on the skimmer is a good question. Some say that you need more contact time in the sump for the skimmer to work efficiently. I don't know if that is true. You could use the mag 24 for a closed loop, then get a small circulation pump and only have 1 overflow? Also, the mag pumps tend to run a bit hot. Be sure to have a fan on a controller in the summer.

What are you doing for lighting? Skimmer ?

i thought so as well but im new to the hobby so i figured i ask , id rather not order another overflow they arent cheap , but well built , lighting is one evolution led , for now might need to add another one , ( well see when set up ) and skimmer is a Tunze 9010 -

might be dumb question .. what is closed loop ? im not liking that it gets hot , maybe an external pump would be ideal .. open to suggestions !

michael.lemke;222477 said:
That's a lot of flow for a 75 gallon. You may still want a power head for some random flow depending on what you want to keep. I'd also think that two returns could handle the mag 24 rather than 4. The thought on the skimmer is a good question. Some say that you need more contact time in the sump for the skimmer to work efficiently. I don't know if that is true. You could use the mag 24 for a closed loop, then get a small circulation pump and only have 1 overflow? Also, the mag pumps tend to run a bit hot. Be sure to have a fan on a controller in the summer.

What are you doing for lighting? Skimmer ?

so i understand the closed loop set - up now , but dont understand why ? Is it just for flow purposes ? so aside from that system , i would still use my overflow box, and another smaller pump for my sump ? clean water ,and alot of water movement .. hmmm is that overkill for this size tank .. ?

if i just did a 1200 -1500 gph external pump from the sump back with 2 circulation pumps .. would be the same thing?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMHO it would be safer to run a smaller return and provide additional flow in your tank via powerheads. With all of the flow in your tank provided by a large return, if it fails or needs to be serviced your tank will be left with zero flow which could be bad news depending on how long things go offline.

jahmic;222576 said:
IMHO it would be safer to run a smaller return and provide additional flow in your tank via powerheads. With all of the flow in your tank provided by a large return, if it fails or needs to be serviced your tank will be left with zero flow which could be bad news depending on how long things go offline.
That makes sense .. So advice on a return pump ? 1500 gph overflow is what i have

On my 75 I run a Rio2500 powerhead as my return from my 30g sump. At 4' it is said to run about 500 gph. Your overflow rating is a maximum, you can do less. I have an overflow rated for 1200, but like i said, i only do 500. For extra flow I supplement that with 700 to 850 gph of circulation via the hydor wavemaker. I have heard that trying to match flow through your sump to the flow through your skimmer will help maximize its efficiency. I am not sold on whether that helps or not but my skimmer pump uses 400 gph and it's running great with my return at 500. The Tunze 9010 does 317gph or 634gph, so you could just get a Rio+ 3500 which does 690(or a mag7, a little more expensive) at 4' and run that skimmer at full power for a pretty close match, then supplement that with a koralia evolution 850 or a couple of koralia 425's if you want more control. That'd give you a total of 1540 gph which is 20x per hour which is plenty for a mixed reef IMO. You decide how much flow you want though. Something to keep in mind is that circulation pumps typically use less power and put less heat into the water than returns. Plus when i posted that i needed circulation pumps a few weeks back I got 6 responses and got good deals on some koralias.

That makes perfect sense i have 1 hydor in my 60 gallon now that will be used , not sure what its rated for ill look tonight , i need to find a return pump asap .. Does aquamart have a good selection of pumps ? All we have out east is todds tropical and fish palace neither one carries many pumps

They have a couple of rio pumps whenever I go, not super cheap, but those are probably it in the flow that you want. I would call before heading down. I can't remember if they had the 3100 when i went in yesterday.

Cool thanks !

Next question i have 2 -- 1 1/2 90s that come off my bulkead in the baxk supplied by glassholes in my sump i have a filter sock shoukd i plumb one in the sock and one in the refugium section ?

I saw a thread debating this about a week ago. You can look for it to see pros and cons, but when i read through it it sounded like the consensus came to whatever works best with your sump setup.

ill take some pictures of the sump n tank once i get it together , just finished drilling holes for my overflow should i reseal this take being its an old tank while its empty ?

1500 gph overflow drilled and installed ! very nice overflow from glass-holes.com I was kinda paraniod at first , but this old oceanic tank is a beast lol drilled real easy -