75 gallon tank build

i watched a few you tube videos on it , don't seem to hard.. any pointers ? common mistakes? i got to get silicone tomorrow , what kind is the best ?

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
75 gallon tank build

Nice job, I'm still working up the nerve to drill mine. Did you use a cordless drill with a clutch?

i did , u put the clutch on 1 setting so u can grab it with ur hand as its moving and it will break .. and the clutch worked many times durring drilling keeps it from binding and cracking the glass , it did take a long time , but i was drilling a old thick oceanic tank .

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
75 gallon tank build

highaltitude;222798 said:
i did , u put the clutch on 1 setting so u can grab it with ur hand as its moving and it will break .. and the clutch worked many times durring drilling keeps it from binding and cracking the glass , it did take a long time , but i was drilling a old thick oceanic tank .
Thanks for the info.

So tonight im resealing the tank , buying a poseidon ps4 external return pump off craigs tonight ( 1200gph+ at three foot head pressure) gonna be nice with the overflow , external to keep the heat down , I have to figure out all the piping .. really need some guidance here !

so i have 2 - 1 1/2 pvc 90 s turned down on the back of my tank , guess ill take one to the filter sock and 1 to the sump , i will have to drill a hole and put a bulkhead in my sump for the external pump ..( 1 " fittings off the pump ) the pipe up should split into 2 and just build a home made return over the top of the tank with a 90 on the end for a return ? Suggestions !!!!

Im bummed i dont have my tank swapped over before tomorrow nights meet , so i can bring home some goodies ! I might miss this meeting and catch the next one ,

correction to the last post i didnt get the ps4 , after picking up my sump today ( its huge 35 g ? ) i wont have room to put an external pump under the cab , so i Have to go to a submersible pump .. good thing is i have a HUGE refugium and space for upgrades later .

system start up

Heres an update and some pictures on the build ! I Got it all plumbed last weekend , tank is resealed , . I took the sand and live rock out of my current 60 gallon acrylic and moved about half the water to the new tank to help cycle it quicker .

The pump i grabbed was a Rio hyperflow 20 hf .. Moves about 1000 gph @ 4 ' .. its has some vibration to it the way i have it piped in hard, wonder if i should change that to a flex line to kill the vibration?

1500 gph overflow - 2 1 1/2 drains down to a
sum is a 35 gallon with fuge in the middle , 4 inches of sand , tunze protein skimmer 9010 - does it takes days to get a skimmer tuned in? Im getting no foam yet did red in the directions it should be in the calm section of the fuge? there is no calm section , its next to the sock filter - Suggestions?

So the flow seems amazing that overflow rocks , i just have 2-- 1 inch threaded pvc 90's just stubbed into the top of the tank water , have a small hole drilled about 1/2 in below the water to break the siphon , im going to buy some 3/4 swiveling return nozzles to put on them

heres a few more pictures

Do they make flexible pvc that can be used for a fish tank ? Here is my dilemma , i hard piped my submersible pump to the return piping (pvc) it was perfect, excpet it vibrated, so i switched it out to a flexible vinyl , which stopped the vibration but i lost pressure ! The wasnt as much water in my display tank as there was an hour prior with the hard pvc piping . so 3rd times a charm right ? Well i went hard piped except for like 4 " of tubing , and now the vibration is back and i still dont have the pressure i did .. lost .. and whooped ! Any ideas ? i need the pressure minus the vibration

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
75 gallon tank build

Google central hose it's based here in Colorado you can find any kind of hose you are looking for.

just an update , tank is up , all clear , everything is running quite nice, still have a slight hum on my pump , work in progress , picked up some micro algae for my sump , need another led fixture , like to find a used evolution led if anyone has one they would like to get rid of ! .. heres a few pictures

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
75 gallon tank build

Did central hose work for you?

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
75 gallon tank build

Tank looks great love the rock work!