Astrophotography

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I didn't get the lens until after sunset, but I decided I just had to try it out. If the picture will get big enough on this forum you can see the Pleiades pretty clearly in the center of the two houses. ISO 3200, f2.8, 5 second exposure.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool! Did you crop any of that image? It looks like you may have some slight decentering to the right side of the frame but that could just be due to the angle of the shot or cropping. If it is decentering that is a common problem with this lens and it dosnt look bad, just something to be aware of if you want to return it for another copy or if you are happy with the images it dosnt matter. Where did you buy it form B&H? Im planning on doing red rocks around 9pm on either Saturday or Sunday night. Either of those work better for you?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I didn't crop it, I think I need to take some more shots to test for decentering. Those two houses in the picture are build kind of at a V to my backyard and they are both uphill from me....so I'm hoping it's the angle of the shot? It will be interesting to see what Red Rocks produces. I need to be down in the Denver area on Sunday afternoon....so if Sunday night would work I could just mill around until 9. ClearDarkSky.com will go 2 nights out so by Saturday we should have a peek at Saturday night and Sunday....if Sunday looks worse I can make Saturday work too.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Very nice. Random tidbit, I named my daughter the Japanese name for the Pleiades constellation ;)

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks Kris for the tips! I think this is my favorite one, I didn't mess with it a ton. I feel like I learned that I really need a lot more practice!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;n641000 said:
Thanks Kris for the tips! I think this is my favorite one, I didn't mess with it a ton. I feel like I learned that I really need a lot more practice!
It was a good time thanks for going! We will have to do it again. You just need something that can process a raw file to tease out more detail, but it does take a lot of practice, Im still learning as I go. Considering the high winds blowing the cameras, numerous clouds and light pollution from the town below I'm surprised we got anything at all. You will have a much easier time in Utah.

Here are a few of the better ones I got.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So my travel plans changed from Bryce Canyon in Utah to my Mom's house in Western Washington because my daughter is in a walking boot which equals no hiking in Utah. Never the less, I wanted to try some Milky Way shots with the Rokinon f/2.8 14mm. The first two pictures are edited post production, the second two are straight out of the camera.

30 sec. f/2.8 ISO 3200

Not the Milky Way, but cool shot looking out towards Victoria BC. 20 sec. f/2.8 ISO 4000

25 sec. f/2.8 ISO 3200, untouched straight out of the camera.

15 sec. f/2.8 ISO 5000 straight out of the camera

From the neighbors front yard, 25sec. f/2.8 ISO 4000

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll join in the astrophotography fun! Sadly I haven't been out with the telescope or camera to get any good pictures of the stars lately but hoping to change that with our trip to AZ later this month. Dug through some of my old photos to share!

Saturn

One of my earlier attempts at deep space objects. This is the Orion Nebula and was actually taken with good old fashioned film camera mounted to a telescope.

And a total lunar eclipse compilation from start to finish.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;n645024 said:
I agree!! These are awesome shots!
Cindy you live in a prime area for astro and milky way shots. I looked up your area on a light pollution map and its pretty much non existent. I wish I knew about this when we were out there. Could have gotten some killer astro shots with the ocean. I guess Ill just have to come back. ;)

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, light pollution is basically nonexistent here. Especially on our hill. You DEFINITELY need to come back!!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love free stuff! Downloading that now.

Kris- I need some advice on gear. Let's talk when you have a chance?

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
TheRealChrisBrown;645097 said:
A little more processing, Kris I am trying Nix which Google released for free this past month. Used to be $150 or so for the full suite...now entirely free.
Wow!!!! Gorgeous! It was nice before the processing, but now!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
TheRealChrisBrown;645097 said:
A little more processing, Kris I am trying Nix which Google released for free this past month. Used to be $150 or so for the full suite...now entirely free.
FYI it's Nik. Nix is for treating lice!