BTA and Lemon Peel Angel

I've recently added a lemon peel angel to my 55 Gallon Corner tank. Around the same time my clown took to my BTA. For about a week everything was fine, however recently my BTA has been moving about the tank and hasn't looked healthy.

I think the angel fish may be to blame as Ive seen it nip at it a couple times. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening short of removing the Angel?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
How are your tank parameters? Does your alkalinity swing a lot and or often? Often alk swings can irritate nems and cause them to wonder looking for a happy spot.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
That angel fish should not be able to "nip" at that nem without getting some type of risidual sting at least. I dont this the angel is the culprite here. I agree with Chad, something is irritating the nem. Have you changed flow or lighting? What are your water peramiters?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
If the nem is hosted the clown should take care of feeding, at least mine do, if I try to put anything into the nem the saddlebacks didnt put there, they remove it with attitude! Its hard to tell what is going on without an idea of your water perams.

I've been feeding it a couple times a week prior to it 'getting sick'. I had to go out and try to find an alkalinity kit as i didn't have one, but all petsmart had was some test strips and those read it at 300. My nitrate is between 20-40 and the nitrite and ammonia are essentially 0. It may be to late for him as he looks pretty terrible today

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do a water change to get your no3 down, I bet he doesn't like them that high. Alk of 300, interesting. Do you know the units(dH, microseimens, ppm, meq/l)?

Out of curiosity, how do you export your nutrients? Macros, gfo, bp, w/c?

Sorry if he doesn't make it, but I'm sure we can help you avoid losing another one (when you're ready to try again)

Sad to say he passed last night and my clownfish is back to hosting the overflow box :(

What are typical readings for alkalinity? I took a shot in the dark on the strips I did buy. I'm not sure how good they were. I will probably need to get out and get some more testing equipment soon.

I'm unsure on some of your acronyms, but I have a biofilter and a bioball system set up. There is also a pretty big clean up crew of snails established in there. I also purchased some mangroves online in hopes of keeping the nitrates lower.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Sorry to hear that. Make sure you get the nem out quickly and I would highly reccomend doing a water change as well. A dead anemone can be very toxic for an established tank, or any tank at that matter.

If your interested I have a small RBTA (its actually a cool pinkish color as apposed to the dark rose color), split off my big one a few eeks ago and he keeps moving around the tank looking for a good spot to take hold and in the process hes stinging the hell out of everything he come in contact with. Id be willing to let him go for cash or trade.