Can you use any high power green laser on aiptasia?

Hello, I have a friend that has a few high power lasers, one is a 2watt green laser.

The aimed spot isn't very small, do you need to buy a glass focus optic for the end of the laser before you can burn aiptasia out of your tank?

I got given some rocks and there is one head of aiptasia, but it is medium to large compared to the little ones I have faced before with aiptasia X etc.

So am looking to go the easy way, but curious of anyone has experience and wants to warn me off.
I could take the entire rock out of the tank, but I hate losing live rock.

Thanks

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've always read that they have very limited success rate. They seem to do best if the aiptasia and foot are in full view. If the foot goes into a hole or a crevice, the laser can't effectively reach it and fry it.

I think peppermint shrimp, copperband, or careful use of a file fish are all better options if you've already tried AiptasiaX, Kalk paste, or lemon juice. Just my .02

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Success rate is almost nonexistent. Can help to get large numbers down to a more manageable level. The mana on wand is t any better. Berghia were great until they died out then the Aiptasia came back pretty quickly. Currently employ 3 Copperband Butterfly’s that do a good job. Only true way to eradicate Aiptasia is with diligence or removing all affected rock, even then all it takes is one Aiptasia in an overflow to start the cycle over again. GL

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
A friend of mine lived with apocalyptic portions and tried every remedy in the book (including lasers) but nothing worked. He ended up breaking down his 240 gallon and bleached everything starting from scratch. He eventually got a few back because he made a dumb mistake but he still says it was worth it.

Thanks for all the reply's guys. I am torn between just removing the rocks and letting them die, and at least attempting to use a chemical method. Whenever something is inexpensive in this hobby, there is often a good reason for it behind the scenes.

At least the rest of the system is healthy and well. I plan to try Kalkwasser paste in the coming week.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have never had Peppermint Shrimp (direct from the Florida Keys, not an unknown variety) and Kalk Paste not work. The ORA Aiptasia Eating Filefish are supposed to be really good too... I am 1:1 with them.

Turn all the pumps off with the kalk to where you can just drop a few droplets into the mouth of each. Then, go to ReefTopia and order a bunch of Peppermints - sometimes they are small and need to grow up a bit in a fuge, if you can. These peppermints will devour all aptasia except for the larger ones that might eat them.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalk paste worked for me too but I only had like 6 at most at a time. Every month or so I’d kill them with it. I’m sure I had one in my plumbing or something since new ones would always pop up.