Coral feeding

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
I went to a lfs and bought a mushroom coral. The guy told me that I needed to purchase products made by brightwell aquatics. Things such as reef code A & B. Also buy zooplanktos-l and phytogold-s and switch these daily in feeding. He also said I needed to use restor 2 times a week. Is this correct? What do PeoPle here feed their corals? I'm running dual T-5 over my 46 gallon? I'm confused?????

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
For one mushroom coral, I would not suggest adding anything. Usually you only need to add products like that when the tank is stocked with corals to keep up with demand. Adding that much extra nutrients into your tank without having enough corals to uptake them will just cause algae blooms.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO you got hosed !

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You use that for your mushroom you will screw up your water chemistry

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Overwhelming majority here that the advice wasn't in your best interest. Mushrooms are the easiest coral to keep, and with a new tank you'll likely provide all it needs with water changes. Still, it's never too early to learn about Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium testing, besides the basics of Nitrates and phosphates. Good luck.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What store? Because that is not cool to do to someone. Not looking for a witch hunt, but it is good for people to know that a store might try to rip them off if they don't know what they are doing. I do hope you didn't buy all that stuff.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
No I didn't buy anything. I have other Corals as well. I was seeing if people use anything besides light to keep the Corals growing?

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
SteveT;122416 said:
Corals will defiantly grow much more rapidly with regular feedings. No Coral gets 100% of its energy from symbiotic photosynthesis. They get nutrients from the water column. I feed a few times a week and use the same blend of food I feed my fish (Elite Reef's blend)

Is that the name of the food? Where can you purchase it? Do you feed the entire tank or do you just do spot feeding?

120greefman

Fish poo is an excellent source of food for coral. I believe keeping your Ca and dkh in line is more important. I personally do not feed my corals in my main dt. However I do feed my corals in my frag tank as there are no fish inhabitants. I use reefkois coral powder for that. Only do it about once a week if that.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can feed any of these, and many combo foods have some/all of;
mysis, brine, chopped up silver sides, rotifers, squid, organic cocktail shrimp, roe, pellets, flake, frozen, whatever......
pretty much anything you feed your fish, and then your fish poo and thats coral food, corals are not picky.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
120greefman;122420 said:
Fish poo is an excellent source of food for coral. I believe keeping your Ca and dkh in line is more important. I personally do not feed my corals in my main dt. However I do feed my corals in my frag tank as there are no fish inhabitants. I use reefkois coral powder for that. Only do it about once a week if that.
Wicked Demon;122421 said:
You can feed any of these, and many combo foods have some/all of;
mysis, brine, chopped up silver sides, rotifers, squid, organic cocktail shrimp, roe, pellets, flake, frozen, whatever......
pretty much anything you feed your fish, and then your fish poo and thats coral food, corals are not picky.
Great minds.....

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
I feed the tank daily, mostly for the fish. I spot feed the corals a few times a week with a syringe and all my pumps off, usually after lights out so the fish don't steal it all. The food I use is named Elite Reef Cusine and is sold by Elite Reef in Arvada. I use it because it has a good blend of larger food (krill,misis shrimp,nori) for the fish and smaller food (cylop-eze, prawn eggs) for the corals. Also because I frequent their store a lot and it is convenient for me. Keep in mind that I am not disagreeing with all the people saying to don't need to feed your corals. Your corals will get plenty of food from stuff naturally floating around in your tank. But if you are like me and like to see crazy growth and color and have a good nutrient export system direct feeding is the way to go in my opinion.

120greefman

SteveT;122423 said:
I feed the tank daily, mostly for the fish. I spot feed the corals a few times a week with a syringe and all my pumps off, usually after lights out so the fish don't steal it all. The food I use is named Elite Reef Cusine and is sold by Elite Reef in Arvada. I use it because it has a good blend of larger food (krill,misis shrimp,nori) for the fish and smaller food (cylop-eze, prawn eggs) for the corals. Also because I frequent their store a lot and it is convenient for me. Keep in mind that I am not disagreeing with all the people saying to don't need to feed your corals. Your corals will get plenty of food from stuff naturally floating around in your tank. But if you are like me and like to see crazy growth and color and have a good nutrient export system direct feeding is the way to go in my opinion.

+1.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
SteveT;122423 said:
Yup the ER food is great. I just feed my fish around my corals so they get spot feeding at the same time.