Emergency

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I ordered a glass hole saw kit and it arrived today. Well my ghost overflow bulkheads are bigger than the biggest saw so does anyone have a 60mm or 2.36" glass hole saw I could use? My friend is supposed to come over tomorrow morning to help me lay the tank down so I can drill it but I need the saw. I could drill the return lines if I knew what size to drill them. Does it matter how big I drill the returns 1" 1 1/2" 1 3/4"?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Assuming this is for an 1.5" abs bulk head, MASC has one and I have it. You're welcome to use it if you would like. I'm at 470 and University

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What size returns so you want to use? I personally like my 1" but many use 3/4" bulkheads. What return pump are you using?

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
its wierd the template they sent says use 60mm or inch and a half diamond bit hole saw but on the conversion calculator it reads 60mm= 2.36 inches and my tape reflects about 2 3/8 across the hole to the outside of the threads?

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just as a heads up, not all bulk heads are the same diameter. Ran into that with my build. Best to have the bulkheads handy and then drill. But, I would shoot for 1" return to match with a 1.5" drain...

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did measured the outside across the middle of the threaded part of the bulkheads as due to the design of this overflow I cannot remove the bulkheads, but it looks like the holes need to be 2 3/8 across the middle.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey CRW if your sending messages they arent coming through

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Havent decided on the return yet DR. I currently have a mag9.5 or a blueline not sure how many gph the blueline pushes but I imagine alot it looks like a small pool pump almost. I dont have a basement so little to no head loss maybe about a two to three foot drop max.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Brian picked one up from CRW last night. Drilled the holes this morning worked like a dream. All drilled.