FTV's 70DD Frag Tank

Like the overflow design but it kinda looks like it'd be loud as hell. I have a smaller glass. Hole overflow on my frag setup but it doesn't have the extension box on the back with stand pipes and it's a cool product and I may be going with them again when I redo the overflow in my 180 or we may go custom build route. You like that style? Seems as if it would be beneficial for maintenance and cleaning purposes.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
charleshardy5;334692 said:
Like the overflow design but it kinda looks like it'd be loud as hell. I have a smaller glass. Hole overflow on my frag setup but it doesn't have the extension box on the back with stand pipes and it's a cool product and I may be going with them again when I redo the overflow in my 180 or we may go custom build route. You like that style? Seems as if it would be beneficial for maintenance and cleaning purposes.

Not sure what would make it look loud as hell? It is "tuned" to make it absolutely silent. What makes an overflow make noise is the mixing of air, and water. The small amount of water going down the stand pipe isn't enough to mix with air, it is really just a trickle that sticks to the inside of the pipe. This might better explain the way a herbie works http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ I could have done a true ghost style, but didn't think I had room for the third pipe in a "bean animal" style drain. There is always a downside to a silent overflow, even glass holes, they need to be adjusted, and cleaned. A glass holes (durso) will make noise if you don't have your vents set at the right level, or if they get clogged. A herbie overflow needs adjusting, and cleaning from time to time. When I drilled my biocube, I did a 2 drain system that is basically a herbie, and really doesnt require that much extra attention. , The Bean Animal drains have an extra safety built in with the third pipe, and would have been my preference, but they still need to be adjusted.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Now we're getting somewhere!! I still have to chase the holes with a little larger bit, we didn't have a 7/16 bit for the CNC, and didn't want a half inch hole thinking it might be too easy for the plugs to tip.

FishTV;334702 said:
Not sure what would make it look loud as hell? It is "tuned" to make it absolutely silent. What makes an overflow make noise is the mixing of air, and water. The small amount of water going down the stand pipe isn't enough to mix with air, it is really just a trickle that sticks to the inside of the pipe. This might better explain the way a herbie works http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ I could have done a true ghost style, but didn't think I had room for the third pipe in a "bean animal" style drain. There is always a downside to a silent overflow, even glass holes, they need to be adjusted, and cleaned. A glass holes (durso) will make noise if you don't have your vents set at the right level, or if they get clogged. A herbie overflow needs adjusting, and cleaning from time to time. When I drilled my biocube, I did a 2 drain system that is basically a herbie, and really doesnt require that much extra attention. , The Bean Animal drains have an extra safety built in with the third pipe, and would have been my preference, but they still need to be adjusted.
Coll thanks for the link and info. I was only assuming the noise level due to the stand pipe being open to the top. Can't say I've ever seen one operational in that design so I kinda assumed that it would make the suction noise constantly. Got talking with some guys last night about designing my new overflow and they got my gears turning. Still really new to the reef game, just over a year in now, and have yet to design my own plumbing so EXTREMELY new to design haha, I apologize if I came off like a smartass or for sounding like a retard haha. Once again thanks for booking it up with rhe good info!

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
No harm, I could see how it would seem that way if it was a primary drain. It will actually get very loud if there is an obstruction somewhere, and is actually a good thing, and alerts you to a problem somewhere.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;334628 said:
The overflow consists of two boxes, a small surface skimmer inside the tank, connected through the glass via bulkheads to a larger box outside the tank containing the drain.
Did you have two bulkheads drilled on just one for the box? Seen a few different models and want sure what you had done. Thanks for commenting on the thread as your setup has helped to visualize new things.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;347592 said:
Did you have two bulkheads drilled on just one for the box? Seen a few different models and want sure what you had done. Thanks for commenting on the thread as your setup has helped to visualize new things.
I ran two 1" bulkheads between boxes, just to keep it simple. Just FYI, two 1" bulkheads between boxes, two 1" bulkheads as drains ( 1 primary, 1 overflow). With a mag drive 9.5 as my return pump, with about 3' of head pressure, the 1" gate valve is only open about 1/4".