Got a new photography toy yesterday

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
True, seemed that the Lenses for the Cannon are more reasonable, i just need to spend the time with it and get it tuned in

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Kris that picture is freaking unreal!!!!!!!! Maybe you already said and I missed it but are you shooting that through the bottle?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;n643648 said:
After he puts them in the fridge to literally 'chill them out'! IN THE FRIDGE.
Actually I dont use the fridge anymore. I found something that works better. I anesthatize them with CO2 to put them to sleep for about 5-15 minutes. The effects of the CO2 seem to last longer sometimes than others. Im not sure why. For the most part they curl up like their dead when knocked out so it unfortunately is still not a great method however I can get them in place and everything in focus and ready to go. Once they wake up there is generally a few seconds even minutes sometimes where they stand up right long enough for me to refocus if needed then snap off as many shots as possible before they run off and Rachel starts screaming at me to "KILL IT KILL IT!!!!"

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
OMG! I think I got a woody...

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;n643842 said:
OMG! I think I got a woody...
Haha yeah I call it the erection lens because it goes from so small to so large lol!!

I did my very first ever stacked images. This is the head of some sort of gnat that was was less than 3/32" long in total body length. They didnt turn out real hot the anteneas didnt stack well at all but not completely terrible for my first try. The first one is made up of 11 separate images combined into one. The second which obviously has some holes in the frontal DOF was made up of 7 I think.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only thing I have ever seen or read that was negative about that Camra is the battery life is very short. No biggie though the batteries are so small you can just carry a couple extras in your pocket.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;643856 said:
The only thing I have ever seen or read that was negative about that Camra is the battery life is very short. No biggie though the batteries are so small you can just carry a couple extras in your pocket.
True story already bought her a back up battery I legitimate flash and uv filter. Next lense will be 55mm portrait lense however lenses are more expensive than other lines. It has a 28-70mm currently.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The eyes in the first picture are super cool. Can't wait to see what you can do once you get the hang of that. So is each image in the stack at a slightly different depth of field? Are you just changing the aperture with each photo in the stack?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;n643872 said:
The eyes in the first picture are super cool. Can't wait to see what you can do once you get the hang of that. So is each image in the stack at a slightly different depth of field? Are you just changing the aperture with each photo in the stack?
No the dof stays the same for each photo but you move the location of where the depth dof is within the frame. Think of it as taking small slices. Basically you set the camera up so that the dof is very narrow but very sharp. You take one photo with the dof in the front part of the image then you move the lens forward so that the part in focus is just slightly behind the first and so on. Then you take all the in focus slices of each image and combine then into one where everything is super sharp and in focus from the front to back. This is called focus stacking. Some of those really crazy images in that link I posted earlier are made up of over 100 images stacked together. Where the dof is litterally a fraction of the width of a piece of paper.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got it. That's really cool. How long "shooting time" does it take if you were to do a 100 image stack? Take a shot, slight adjustment, take another shot, etc? Or is there a more automated way to do it? I image the post production can be intense too.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;n643900 said:
Got it. That's really cool. How long "shooting time" does it take if you were to do a 100 image stack? Take a shot, slight adjustment, take another shot, etc? Or is there a more automated way to do it? I image the post production can be intense too.
Well you couldn't do a stack like that by hand. for stacked shots like that you have to use a computer controlled motor like a cognysis stackshot. But it would probably take about 10-15 minutes to go through 100 shots on one of those.