Grow out contest 2016-2

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Okay now that the lime chili is underway I want to start another one. From those I have talked to there was a lot of interest in a grow out for a Chalice or Monti.

This week we will be finding out what we can get ahold of for the contest and put it up for people to vote on which one we are going with.

Speak up let me hear who is all interested in this grow out so we know how big of a piece of coral we need.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Players as of 6/8/2016

1. MuralReef
2. Projectx
3. JuanGutz
4. Balz3352
5. Scchase
6. Niel82

If you want to play and your name is not on this post please comment in this thread, PM, text (303)827-8130. How ever you wish to let me know you are in. Buy in is $40.00, all extra money brought in will be for the prizes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Updated dates for the CC Castaway Montipora Growout Contest 2016-2 Thread

Rules:
To enter, a contestant must post a picture of their fragment of coral with your estimation on growth for the total contest six month period.

This contest will run from September 1st through March 31th.

There will only be one buy in per person.

Grow out 2016-2 Rules:
• First picture on September 1st which is the start of the contest. To include a picture of the coral and a ruler on two sides with MASC, username, date, and your individual estimation on growth. This information can be typed into your post or on a piece of paper.
o 1st picture to be posted on September 1st, 2016 will include the following information:
 Two pictures in your post with a ruler on each side of the frag for a size comparison.
 Your name and date will be posted by the forums so no worries there.
 Your estimation on growth for a three month time frame.
 Your estimation on growth for a six month time frame.
 Your tank information:
 Size
 Lighting
o October 1st a picture needs to be posted for growth. With a ruler on two sides for comparison.
o November 1st a picture needs to be posted for growth. With a ruler on two sides for comparison.
o December 1st a picture needs to be posted for growth. With a ruler on two sides for comparison.
o January 1st through January 4th a picture will be posted and a purse prize of 10% of the total amount of money raised will be given to the leader from this post. With a Ruler on two sides for comparison.
 The one with the most growth will win, if there is a tie then the one closest to their prediction will win.
o February 1st a picture needs to be posted for growth. With a ruler on two sides for comparison.
o March 31th a picture needs to be posted for growth. With a ruler on two sides for comparison.
o April 30th your final picture needs to be posted with a ruler on two sides for comparison.
o May 1st the judging will be held.
 1st place will win 50% of total amount of money raised.
 2nd place will win 25% of the total amount of money raised

• The judges will be from the initial list of names in the second post and every third entry will be a judge so the player who is marked 1. – 4. – 7. – 11. etc., etc. will be our judges for this contest. Once we have a confirmed list of players I will put your names in this post of who will be the judges.
o Judges will have to pick the winner for the mid prize on January 5th10%.
o Judges will have to pick the 1st 50% and 2nd 25% place winners for the overall winners.
o Judges will have to pick the winner for the best color overall 15%.
Judges:
- ?
- ?
- ?

• If you can still post picture with a ruler in your tank then you may place it in your tank any way you want to. This means you can take it off the plug and mount it in your tank for the look you are going for. I know some like to remove the plug and I want you to be able to have it in your tank however you like.

-

Price: $40 for each entry

This is after everyone who has entered has an entry frag; any extra frags that can be cut will be for those who want to try a second frag in another tank.

Price breakdown per entry (How the money is being distributed):
• Cost of frag: $25
• Donation to MASC: $2
• Into the prize pot: $13

Total Money Collected:
- Cash $0
- Paypal $0
- Total $0
- Donation to MASC: $0 (donation sent to MASC PayPal)
- Prize Pot total: $0
 January 1st winner 10% of purse.
 May 1st:
 1st place 50% of purse.
 2nd place 25% of purse.
 Best coloration 15% of purse.

• Contest PayPal: sctip@yahoo.com

(These frags will be cut to the same size)

Coral: CC Castaway

Important Dates:
Pick up: September 1st, 2016 First picture and posting on this thread
1 Month Post: October 1st
2 Month Post: Novber 1st
3 Month Post: December 1st
4 Month Post: Denver 28th - January 4th 1st mid contest winner 10%
5 Month Post: February 1st
6 Month Post: March 31st
7 Month Post: April 31th
This is for anyone who might find it difficult to post on January 1st.
Winning Day: April 30th
Judging Day: May 1st

The prizes for the winner will be given at the monthly meeting in May, if you are unable to attend or no meeting in May arrangements will be made to get the winnings to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm down for either honestly. Have to say I enjoy grow outs with nicer corals not cheap ones, thats the only input I really have.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Well I'm sure we will have a high end one. It will be less to play this one though to open it up to everyone. At least that is our goal.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm in for a chalice or Monti. Been meaning to participate in a grow-out for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjl45

Clown Fish
I'll probably be up for another contest, but the price will play a factor this time.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I can get my tank up and running for sure, Love me some more montis!

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Missed this one! I think my tank is ready. I'm in for a monti - I enjoy them a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I'm checking into what we can get. As soon as I can find one large enough for it I'll let you guys know.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
OK here is the update. Both Chad and I have tried to find a Monti or chalice large enough for the grow out and have come up empty.

Chad has found a green pagoda cup

I am curious, how many of you would be interested in participating in the grow out with this pagoda cup?

Our choices are to go with the pagoda cup or be patient until one of our outstanding vendors have one in stock. Let me know what you would like to do.

Scott

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will check with my neighbor, he has a huge flower pot monti that he was going to have me frag, how many pieces and how big do you think would be sufficient?

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Honestly, it depends on how many wish to participate. Once you find out can you post it here please. I know the pagoda cup is $100, so if we get ten people to play it will be $10 for the frag per person and add a little extra for the first place winner.