How to make emerald crab buff!!

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok. I just wanted to post this as its pretty interesting for people that don't feed there emerald crabs.. I have a emerald crab that is the size of a silver dollar and getting bigger by the month. What I do is take a syringe and fill it with oyster eggs and phyto feast coral food once a week. I target feed him and he comes out of his rock to "bottle feed" lol. I fill the 2ml syringe around 3x till he's satisfied. He is the biggest emerald I've seen and its cool to watch. Does anyone else do this? Interested in other people's thoughts. Thanks for reading.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I give mine small pieces of nori when it comes out. It grabs it right away and takes off.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine comes up to the glass at night and walks back and forth lol. I grab my needle and fill it up then he grabs ahold of it with a killer grip lol. I've lost a syringe already by him running off with it.. I only started feeding him because he ran off with my new orange recordia Yuma baby.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Now that the nuisance algae is gone...I clip off a piece of macro weekly and hand it to him. He scurries into his cave and eats for days, lol.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Wahhhhh, orange ricordia baby?

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
reefmaster719;192231 said:
Mine comes up to the glass at night and walks back and forth lol. I grab my needle and fill it up then he grabs ahold of it with a killer grip lol. I've lost a syringe already by him running off with it.. I only started feeding him because he ran off with my new orange recordia Yuma baby.
That's hilarious. Prime material for a Youtube clip! Interesting feeding method, filing away for future ref., thx.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My first emerald didn't care one way or another. He would stay in hiding for most of the time and gave me a scare when i accidentally dunked him into ro and he went into shock. However, the one i have in my 16g comes out and darn near signals me for food when i feed the tank. I don't feed him anything different than the rest of the tank, but he seems to enjoy it. Oh, and yes, he is almost strong enough to pull the feeder out of my hand. He grabbed it the other night and i thought the rock he was on was coming out with him and the feeder. He is only about the size of a dime right now.

Rocky's Pride, if you come down this way anytime soon I have three that are all going strong, good healthy eaters and coral friendly. You're welcome to one of them. As far as feeding, they typically eat whatever is fed to the fish as leftovers, but they do get a special treat of Squid about once a week or so. They love it.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You guys are nice. If my emerald can't survive by scavenging, which is how they normally live, then he won't make it long in my tank. Current one has been going for a couple months.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol Drew...I was the same til I found that my emerald crab tried to scavenge the only hair algae that was left in my tank...behind the prop on the wetside of my mp10.

He lost half a claw so I decided it might be time to feed him...can't have that loud buzz waking me up at night anymore. ;)

I don't feed for the purpose of trying to encourage growth, but rather for decreasing the likelihood of them scavenging anything I don't want them to be eating. They say "coral friendly", but in a pinch who knows...