ICP Analysis water test

Jetman357

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I was at reef stock and had ICP test my tank water. All my levels were good except three. Arsenic (As) was low at 0.003ppm, Iodine (I) was undetectable at 0.0ppm and my Calcium (Ca) was high at 495.98ppm. The Calcium is high due to the salt mix I’m using, Reef Crystals. I knew this was on the higher level as I test for it regularly. It looks like the average for Reef Crystals is around 490ppm when I mix it up.

I’m wondering if I should be concerned with any of these parameters? I guess I’m concerned about the Iodine levels for my shrimp as I understand they need it to molt.

What are the opinion’s of our club? Are you guys dosing Iodine? Should I be dosing Iodine? Should I change my salt mix to one with Iodine in the mix? Do you think I should be concerned with the Calcium and Arsenic levels.

Thanks for all the help!

ianryd

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine came back with a low level of arsenic too. I remember reading somewhere that a polyfilter would remove low levels.

High calcium hasn't been an issue in my experience. Mine has been over 500 with no issues. I should add that I wasnt keeping sps at that time. I have heard that higher calcium can lead to buildup on pumps though.

Iodines necessity in a reef tank has been debated all over the internet. I personally dont test for it, but I do add a squirt any time my zoas look unhappy and my ICP came back at 4 which matches Fiji so I guess Im doing it right lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you change water, then it is unlikely that you have no iodine. Do you know what they tested for? There are four or six or ten different kinds, but iodide is what most supplements are. The test kit and what is in the salt mix just might not be the same kind. I would not worry about this.

Jetman357

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you change water, then it is unlikely that you have no iodine. Do you know what they tested for? There are four or six or ten different kinds, but iodide is what most supplements are. The test kit and what is in the salt mix just might not be the same kind. I would not worry about this.
Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure what type of iodine they tested for? The blue highlighted box on the pic below is the iodine test.

As I’ve been reading up on it I see there are several types of iodine and dosing it can be tricky.

Everybody in the tank looks happy so I think I’m not going to dose iodine after researching it and just stick to regular water changes.

Iodine dosing just seems too confusing!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr Holmes-Farley wrote a few really good articles on Iodine if you want to geek out and read them. Even after all of that, he does not recommend dosing it if you are changing water regularly. They iodine articles are only slightly less confusing that his ORP articles.