Nice update and shots.

Where's the update for your cube?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;215041 said:
Cool! What are these called?:

View attachment 10693

They were sold to me as Armor of Gods by one of our vendors, but since you asked I looked AOGs up, and they do appear to be different. I see the words "AOG morph" popping up a lot on RC...so I dunno if I should just bundle it in that group or keep looking for a name...or make one up, lol.

They definitely have a little "batman" pattern going on though, that's all I ever see when I look at them, lol.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;215047 said:
Nice update and shots.

Where's the update for your cube?
I'll probably work on that after work or over the weekend. I have a lot of shots uploaded to photobucket for the cube, but since most of the pics are basically just documenting the tank's progress with redbug treatment, there's not much "eye-candy" in that group. I did grab a couple nice shots that I may throw up there in the meantime...but the majority of the pics are going to have some dialog attached in order to review the damage caused by those pests just prior to treatment.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
jahmic;215048 said:
They definitely have a little "batman" pattern going on though, that's all I ever see when I look at them, lol.
Haha, I have no idea. I do love 'em though.

How long do Zoa's take to propogate any? Seems like glacial time periods, lol...

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Jahmic's 20L zoa garden

jahmic;215048 said:
They were sold to me as Armor of Gods by one of our vendors, but since you asked I looked AOGs up, and they do appear to be different. I see the words "AOG morph" popping up a lot on RC...so I dunno if I should just bundle it in that group or keep looking for a name...or make one up, lol.

devils armor zoas ?

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Aren't these keds reds?

[attachment=63251:name]

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
2sweet;215074 said:
Aren't these keds reds?

View attachment 10694

That was my first guess...but I have keds reds and these are definitely different. My keds reds fell behind a rock and have been closed for a week or so, hopefully the open back up so I can compare them. But these have a slight ring around the mouths that the keds reds didn't have, and they're honestly more orange than red. I was a bit hasty on editing the image in Lightroom...but yea, they're orange. :/

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;215068 said:
Haha, I have no idea. I do love 'em though.

How long do Zoa's take to propogate any? Seems like glacial time periods, lol...
Haha, some of them do seem to take forever to grow, especially the smaller zoas. Most of my palythoas grow much faster though, and some are almost invasive. Also, most of those palys exhibit a feeding response and will trap and digest food that lands on the polyp...I've never target fed them but it'd be interesting to see if that effects growth at all. I do place mine in places where food tends to "blow toward" when I feed the tank, and I usually see at least one polyp trap food during each feeding.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A little tidbit worth mentioning for anybody interested in the technical details: photographing my cube under the halides and PC actinic bulbs is much, much easier. I can dial in the Kelvin temp on the camera and adjust all of my images simultaneously when I import them into lightroom. Things don't work that way with my LEDs. I think the issue is that the light is mounted fairly close to the tank, so the whites and blues don't really blend as well as the could. I definitely have areas that are exposed to more blue/white light than others. The end result is that I have to go in and adjust each image individually...and I admittedly got a little lazy after about 15 pics, lol. I'm going to try raising my fixture up a bit, as it would give me more room to photograph anyway, and I have the lights dialed at about 50% for the blues and 20% for the whites right now...hopefully that helps. It should also help solve the white-balancing nightmare I was having in my attempts to get a clean FTS.

Anyway...back to the point of this post, here's a comparison of the "kedds reds". The first pic is the image posted above, the second pic is a second edit, and I feel it's closer to how they appear in my tank. Who knows...maybe the are kedds reds, lol. It'll be interesting to see if they look the same as my other little colony if those open up once they both adjust to my lighting and tank parameters.

Original pic

Second edit

The tank is barebottom...what appears under the tank should be somewhat grey, as that's the tile color of the table they're placed on. The 2nd pic is definitely more accurate.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well...I found a little issue with my system over the weekend. I saw my angel hanging out next to my fire shrimp in a little cove underneath my MP10; anytime he gets cleaned he does this little excited dance and usually flashes against a rock or on the sand before swimming away. Well...he did his dance and kicked up a TON of detritus. I figured the undertow from the powerhead created a little pile of crap between a couple rocks...so I removed those rocks to get better flow in the area, then decided to grab the turkey baster to see what was hiding. Bad idea...I should've just grabbed the siphon.

The result was a cloud of detritus blowing through my tank and getting all over my rockwork and corals. I removed the mp10 from the center-back wall of the tank and placed it on the far end of the tank instead, right next to the AC50. I spent most of the day going to the tank intermittently to blow the crap of the rocks, and the new placement of the MP10 and AC50 seemed to direct more of the detritus into the AC50...as it now "intercepts" the detritus being pulled around the tank by the undertow of the powerhead. I'm pretty sure this will solve the problem; I went around the tank with the turkey baster multiple times and didn't find any more pockets where stuff was collecting. I also switched the MP to nutrient transport mode, which seemed to do a better job of keeping detritus suspended than the short pulse wave I was previously running.

What a mess though. :( I went ahead and just shut down the lights for a couple days since I was seeing some algae here and there anyway, and didn't want all the detritus flying around the tank to feed an outbreak.

I'm also planning on modding the fuge of the AC50; I'm going to place a baffle in there to create a small section to run my floss and carbon, and use a larger chamber to either run a scrubber or some macro...but I'm leaning towards running a scrubber since I saw limited benefit from running such a small amount of chaeto in my other tank. I already have all of the supplies that I would need on hand, so it's just a matter of sitting down and knocking out the little project.

its looking great i believe when i was there all ya had in the rimless was water and some microalgea

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rlklassy;217236 said:
its looking great i believe when i was there all ya had in the rimless was water and some microalgea
Thanks! I think you're right...it was just rock and some macro in that point...I may have even still been running T5s over it then. The tank is definitely a little more interesting these days. :)

ryan;215086 said:
full tank shot!
Here ya go!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
looks good. Water level seems low or is that normal?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It was low at the time. I had done a water change the week before and took out more water than salt that I had made up, lol. Also, it was probably desperately in need of a top-off at that point...I've been manually adding water daily, which is honestly a PITA.

I'm probably going to pick up an ATO for this tank in the very near future. That's on my list...as well as a container for mixing salt so I can mix enough water for a WC on both my tanks and have some to spare in case I pull more than ~3 gallons out, which is the size of my current bucket. ;)