Jeremiah's dual IM 16's

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been so lazy and never did a tank build. It is late and I promised myself I wouldn't watch tv so I will start this thread. Both tanks have the same equipment hence the 2 behind everything.

equipment:
IM desktop skimmers (2)
IM's support when I was first trying to get them figured out was top notch, but after a few times talking they basically gave up. I got the feeling they felt I was an idiot and didn't know how to set the product up. FYI, I am not an idiot...the product is just not very good. It does create a nice skim, it just also creates MASSIVE micro bubbles that never go away. I only run them at night, I do get a nice skim so I figure still better than nothing. I can't make myself buy a new pair of skimmers, just being cheap. Would rather buy other stuff i still want.

IM desktop reactors (2) - I think these are great, the only problem i had is that the bracket for one of them broke from tightening it...they come very thin and i've not gotten around to repairing it. I run 3 table spoons of high quality BRS carbon and 2 table spoons of the highest quality gfo.

IM hydrofill pumps (2) - these are nice little pumps, the only issue with them is if you have them sitting on a surface they vibrate extremely loud. I put some padding below and it helped a ton.

50 watt cobalt slim heaters (2) - love these things...only problem with them was me. I should have purchased a pair of 75 watt ones. I plan on doing that and keeping a 75 and a 50 in each tank for redundancy.

IM custom caddy (4) - no complains on these they are nice upgrades from the junk plastic ones that the tank came with. I am running a refugium with cheato on one side and the magnetic IM refuge light (2). The other side is just full of fluval bio rings.

IM spin stream nozzles (4) - nice for randomizing the flow, just need to clean them periodically as they will get stuck. After a good vinegar soaking they are usually good for 6 months or so.

vortech mp10 (2) with battery backup.

IM dual strip led light 2ft (2) - the light is enough for what i need, measured with the par and the readings pretty good with what they show on the website.\
Had a problem with the first one I got from them. The switches had not been soldered well and the lights wouldn't turn off unless you unplugged them. They replaced it and everything seemed fine till i got a 2nd one and built in night lights are WAY different brightness. Would be nice for my paired tanks to both light up with the same brightness at night, but one is about 3-5x brighter than the other.

Neptune apex
(2) energy bars 8
only have a ph probe and temp probe on one tank I have been lazy and never got another set for the other side.

I am also only using float switches for my ATO on one tanks...the evaporation is so close I just let them both run off the same float switches. ( I know not the best plan)

Plans:
upgrade mp10s to wireless I have the neptune wireless module just not set up yet.
get module for temp probe and ph and set up separate ato
Get dosing pumps

pictures to come....will also try and talk about equipment issues I have had as I post about them.
(this photo is old photo that i have posted before, will get updated stuff tonight)

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice! I have a 16 as well. Did you go with the intank baskets or the ones made by IM (sounds like you went with the IM version)?

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
IM version, in-tank was on my do not buy from list till this show.

When I got my first 16 it was a slightly modified version from the original. Basically they changed dimensions on one section in the rear. I had ordered the refuge basket from intank and when it came and was small I told him. I he basically talked to me like I didn't know anything.

ticked me off...a year later I saw him at show he apologized so all good now.

edit: I still have the refuge basket. It will fit perfectly in the original released 16 or slightly loose in the versions since. I stopped using it when I turned one of the first sections in refuge instead. I Will trade for a coral frag.

SkyShark;326015 said:
Nice! I have a 16 as well. Did you go with the intank baskets or the ones made by IM (sounds like you went with the IM version)?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you ever have questions on the apex programming or want some ideas on how to improve redundancy/reliability, let me know. I work real closely with Russ on the Neptune forums, so there isn't much that I can't make the apex do.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice. I'll measure to see which version I have. I tried to buy his 16 display baskets at MACNA. I'm sure I have something to trade. We can work something out over pm later.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Jeremiah and seeing these tanks in person, both are gorgeous and imho a must see prime example of nano done right. My ten gallon envies these tanks haha

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
charleshardy5;326029 said:
I've had the pleasure of meeting Jeremiah and seeing these tanks in person, both are gorgeous and imho a must see prime example of nano done right. My ten gallon envies these tanks haha
Agree 100%, must see tanks for anyone wanting to know how to setup a nano. These are top notch tanks and the colony of bowsers he has is impressive, probably at least 100 heads.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I yanked about 1/2 out, so much smaller...and after seeing the same ones growing in different lighting, WOW...they just do not color up well under my LEDs.

LeviK;326038 said:
Agree 100%, must see tanks for anyone wanting to know how to setup a nano. These are top notch tanks and the colony of bowsers he has is impressive, probably at least 100 heads.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, I still have not upgraded the software to get it online. Definately need to get off my rear and get ALOT of diff little projects completed.

This hobby is NOT meant for someone as lazy as I am.

zombie;326026 said:
If you ever have questions on the apex programming or want some ideas on how to improve redundancy/reliability, let me know. I work real closely with Russ on the Neptune forums, so there isn't much that I can't make the apex do.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
A few quick shots...will get shots of equipment later and maybe close ups of some corals (assuming the iPad can take a decent shot)

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pictures does no justice. One of the cleanest setup up I've seen, I mean setups.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Awesome Jeremiah !!!! Your tanks look s awesome in that dining room, great job bro!!! And that zoa tank is killer man, looks like stunning garden!

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Justin144;326217 said:
Just wondering. where did you get that striped cardinal in the zoa tank?
Fluid ordered it for me.

Everyone else, thanks for the compliments. I'm assuming this is the same for everyone else, but when i look at my tanks all i see are problems/thinks i need to fix or change. yet when people come over they just see nice tanks, i guess it is easier to just sit back and enjoy someone elses tank/tanks.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well ya the average person doesn't spend the countless hours looking at everything in the tank like we do with our own tanks

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welp, it is the end of these tanks for me...everything has been transfered to my new tank and now just working on mounting the new lights updating software and getting the kinks worked out. I'll be starting a new thread at some point for that tank.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yup, i will be eventually...i guess sooner than later if people are persuing me about them. I have some rock that needed to be cooked so i was going to let them run for a while.