Just another 300g build

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's crazy. I've dreamed of opening my fish room to the crawls space. Didnt know anyone had done it. Sweet build

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
Definitely a lot of work. Removed somewhere around 14yds all in that little cart. Good thing was the back yard was being revamped at the same time. So all I had to do was pull it 20' and dump it. From there the mini ex took care of it.
Got the 180g transferred over and removed. Built the majority of the light rack and got the MH and leds on line. I will try to post pics of the plumbing in the next day or two.

GiraffeCat

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
:jaw::jaw::jaw:

Seriously, you expanded your basement - clearly not "Just Another 300g Build".
YOU........ ARE ........ ADDICTED.......

Can I have your aquarium budget for a while?

I am following along.

Late,
GC

Preview

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
GiraffeCat;325868 said:
:jaw::jaw::jaw:

Seriously, you expanded your basement - clearly not "Just Another 300g Build".
YOU........ ARE ........ ADDICTED.......

Can I have your aquarium budget for a while?

I am following along.

Late,
GC

Preview
It is actually a bar/storage room built to withstand food fights! It is only Temporarily serving as a fishroom. The truth be told my wife would like to use our pool table and with the tank in the room I would not stand for it. So she is to blame, not me! Thanks for following along.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
powdermonkey;325872 said:
It is actually a bar/storage room built to withstand food fights! It is only Temporarily serving as a fishroom. The truth be told my wife would like to use our pool table and with the tank in the room I would not stand for it. So she is to blame, not me! Thanks for following along.
Haha 8 ball coner pocket! Don't blame u man!

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not just following, taking notes!! Some day I hope to start a new in wall build, and you sir are doing it right!

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
A few years ago I switched from 250w MH to Radion led, gen 1. Although I felt the blues and purples were unreal I always thought the reds fell off. But I also new I did not want to run MH for more than 4-5 hrs a day. I have never used T-12s but have been reading people commenting about their success with them. I also new I did not want to run them for the full viewing time either. So my solution was to combine the three. So for now I will be using 3 radion gen1, 2-400w mh with blueline ballast in lumenarc large reflectors, and 4-60" T-12s.

After looking at many setups I decided to use EZ-tube, thanks to glassreef.com. The aluminum tubing is lightweight and user friendly. As you can see below the leds and reflector sit on a flange held inplace by the 1"tubing. The leds are sitting on rubber bumpers holding them laterally and giving a void for heat.

When thinking about the amount of lights it would take I new they had to be movable and adjustable. Thinking about a rail system the pocket doors in my house came to mind. A trip to HD and I had a simple solution to moving the lights. With the light rack at 40" and the standard rail coming in at 72" it almost completely removes it from over the tank. When using the radions over my 180g I used their hanging kit. Two kits and it works great. I tried to come up with other/better options but was unsuccessful. I would of liked it solid but just could not come up with anything. Thought about snap lock tubing but could not find it. The top rack allows one person to move it. It will also allow me to add more support if deemed necessary.
Currently the t-12s are not installed. I did not have the aluminum plating last weekend when putting it together. Hope to have them added in the next few weeks.

Sorry for the bad pics, phone...

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nicely done on the lights.

Have you considered putting some sort of moisture barrier up on the bottom side of those floor joists? Maybe just a sheet of plastic from HD stapled up or the more heavy duty house wrap? I'm imagining the long term effects of that lumber being exposed to the high humidity. Maybe that's not a concern?

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
halmus;326188 said:
Nicely done on the lights.

Have you considered putting some sort of moisture barrier up on the bottom side of those floor joists? Maybe just a sheet of plastic from HD stapled up or the more heavy duty house wrap? I'm imagining the long term effects of that lumber being exposed to the high humidity. Maybe that's not a concern?
It has crossed my mind, just havent taken action. I was thinking of spray foam but need to contact someone about that. There is a vent fan and an air exchange unit in the room.
Appreciate the thoughts

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Spray foam might be a good way to go. I don't mean to second-guess your efforts. You've got a great build going on. I'm just paranoid about moisture damage. I've heard horror stories about that sort of thing, but I've never personally seen it. Vent fans and air exchange should go a long way towards protecting your bigger investment (your home).

I also see a lot of similarities between your build and the one I've been planning for the last two years. I'll be taking notes.