Limpet hitch hiker

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The other day I noticed a small brown and white limpet on my rock work. After hours of searching the internet and asking around I decided that he must be safe, although I heard some will eat soft coral. I tracked him down again today with the thought of removing him just to be safe, and found he had eaten a path through a small patch of red cyano algae that I have been struggling with. He is asleep in the muck right now and if yall think he is safe he will be my best friend!!! I'll try and get a pic later.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 5895 Snapped a pic of him this morning. Two days later and he is still munching away at that red slime!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
As a rule, I am always cautious when it comes to limpets. Too many times I have found them munching on clam mantles. I even lost my favorite clam to a limpet. I used to buy only florida live rock, the same stuff you have, with all of the fun growth and critters that come with it, but I have since learned the hard way that for every good hitchhiker there was a bad. In my Florida live rock I have found rock worms, mantis shrimp limpets, gorilla crabs, calico crabs, and several other pests. Now I use dry rock to start a tank.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even though I don't keep any clams I agree that he may become a problem, I might banish him to the fuge after he finishes the Cyano algae. I also agree about the live rock, I am constantly putting out one fire after another.... I have yet to catch that tiny crab I spotted a few weeks back, and feel like I could do much nicer aquascaping with dryrock and reefsafe morter.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
RefferMatt;153322 said:
Even though I don't keep any clams I agree that he may become a problem, I might banish him to the fuge after he finishes the Cyano algae. I also agree about the live rock, I am constantly putting out one fire after another.... I have yet to catch that tiny crab I spotted a few weeks back, and feel like I could do much nicer aquascaping with dryrock and reefsafe morter.
You toss bristle worms? I'll take the next batch you catch if you want.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just spotted another small Limpet today, do these things breed in captivity?