Looking for high quality local live rock

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
projectx;369773 said:
Keys Island has what you are looking for
sorry to hijack .... Lance what's up brother glad to see your screen name pop up! Hope all is well with family and reef!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Order it by the box and cycle it yourself. Pacific rock is the best. You won't get it any cheaper or better than that.

Man made or dry is not the same and not as good... never will be...

So, I've gone around looking at some of the stuff available, and have to say that it's now pretty clear that the type of live rock one used to be able to readily find simply is not available anymore. Kind of sad, really. However, given the impact that man is having on the oceans, I am glad that people are doing what is necessary to reduce that impact. If we don't care for the ocean, we're really going to be screwed.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jneps;369934 said:
So, I've gone around looking at some of the stuff available, and have to say that it's now pretty clear that the type of live rock one used to be able to readily find simply is not available anymore. Kind of sad, really. However, given the impact that man is having on the oceans, I am glad that people are doing what is necessary to reduce that impact. If we don't care for the ocean, we're really going to be screwed.
Agreed. Live rock has evolved over the years. To get close to what you have in your mind, you will have to have it shipped to you which can be pretty expensive.
I'm blanking on the exact details, but either Marine Depot or BRS has a newish live rock service that can only be ordered at a certain time (not sure if it was weekly or monthly). Maybe look into that.

Thanks to all of you for your input!

Ultimately, I decided to purchase some live rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Have to say that I'm quite pleased with what I received. I've also posted a couple times about some extra live sand I have, and some spare Real Reef rock I have which is now well colonized with denitrifying bacteria, so please PM me if you're interested in it.

I intend to post some images of the rock I got from TBS soon, and describe the purchase experience for the benefit of those who may be considering buying some.