MASC 60 cube donation/raffle build.

pidge

Angel Fish
Because I am moving in around 4 months and I feel mildly guilty about never donating or sponsoring I am going to be doing a stand to donate for MASC purposes of a raffle/or just to sell. I will be doing it in the spare time I have and will do a very detailed step by step of the process. It will probably end up being a thread on woodworking more than a thread aquariums. :) hope everybody enjoys!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Awesome man! look forward to seeing it

pidge

Angel Fish
I've batted around the idea of making it out of all different kinds of wood but it will take a certain kind of person to really like it. I'm just going to pick up some more lumber tomorrow. I have more walnut here than anything else so a very lucky someone is gonna get a solid walnut stand.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is really cool! I was a huge wood worker in high school when we had a wood shop with awesome equipment at our fingertips. I'm excited to see how this turns out. Wish you weren't leaving I've been debating having a canopy built for my 60 cube.

As far as wood, I've always been a fan of curly maple accents or inlays with walnut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pidge

Angel Fish
clowninaround7474;298127 said:
This is really cool! I was a huge wood worker in high school when we had a wood shop with awesome equipment at our fingertips. I'm excited to see how this turns out. Wish you weren't leaving I've been debating having a canopy built for my 60 cube.

As far as wood, I've always been a fan of curly maple accents or inlays with walnut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol!! That's funny cause I was planning on doing Birdseye maple beading on the panels and corners of the legs. And maybe inlaying some in the trim.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
good gawd I'm already drooling, and you haven't posted a single pic yet.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I so want this! You have no idea how bad I want a tank at home! My wife could never say no to his beautiful woodworking.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow!!!! Right on Ryan this is very very cool of you!!! Looking forward to watching the build and seeing the end product :)

pidge

Angel Fish
Well just got back from the lumber yard and I spent waaaaay more money that I was expecting. You'd think because I had a saltwater tank for 10years that I'd be used to the kid-in-a-candy-shop type of experience but something's never change. Picked up 35bf of 4/4 walnut and 18bf of 8/4. This thing is going to look awesome. So awesome actually, that I might have to keep it.

pidge

Angel Fish
Ok. So I just sat down and got a little drawing done. I'm not too sure if I should use crown for the trim or just a simple flat piece with an 1/8" round over. What do you guys think? It is kinda hard to tell because the drawings are simple and kinda childish, but it helps me better visualize how everything is going to come together. And that is critical when you're working with wood that's about $10/square ft.

Oh yeah. This thing is gonna be kinda tall. Overall height of about 36". I wanted to be able to get a nice gentle elegant taper on the legs and still be able to have enough space inside for a nice skimmer etc.

pidge

Angel Fish
I'm thinking about doing the panel on the door out of hard curly maple. Not sure if I should or not. I want this thing to appeal to a wide variety of people and some might think that is a little too much.