MASC 60 cube donation/raffle build.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
pidge;299471 said:
I'm thinking about doing the panel on the door out of hard curly maple. Not sure if I should or not. I want this thing to appeal to a wide variety of people and some might think that is a little too much.
Yes!!! Such a cool look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Looked it up and the images I saw with the above design would add a touch of elegance to the clean lines. A piece like this could easily fit in a more formal location in a home. Really is too bad you are moving your work is awesome!

pidge

Angel Fish
MuralReef;299475 said:
Looked it up and the images I saw with the above design would add a touch of elegance to the clean lines. A piece like this could easily fit in a more formal location in a home. Really is too bad you are moving your work is awesome!
I know! :-( I'm sad to be going!! And thanks! I just slap the sticks together and let the wood do the real work! Are you talking about the crown or the flat trim?

pidge

Angel Fish
The crown can tend to be big and bulky and make it look a little top heavy. And to get the crown up to cover the 2" high trim on the bottom of the tank will make it pretty big. Although it does look sharp!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's a Craftsman look, so no crown would be more appropriate.

and on a side note... DROOL DROOL DROOL

pidge

Angel Fish
FinsUp!;299481 said:
That's a Craftsman look, so no crown would be more appropriate.

and on a side note... DROOL DROOL DROOL
True! I like the look of the flat better myself. Keeps the lines crisp and sharp. But some like the crown look.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
If that holds a nuvo 38 gal, I'm gonna stuff the raffle box to bursting. Just for the record.

pidge

Angel Fish
Well. Just started the milling process. First I rough cut everything to length. I cut everything 2 inches long to give enough for milling defects and crooked cuts. Once everything is rough cut to length I label it and stack it by the jointer.

I then joint the face and side of the boards.

This is a really critical part because it is necessary that you make sure you set the jointer up to be perfectly square.

This makes sure that at least two sides of the boards are perfectly 90 degrees.

They need to be perfectly square because once you start the joinery process if they aren't square you'll get gaps at the joints.
Once I have everything face and side jointed I take it over to the planer.
If you don't joint the face of the boards, the planer applies so much pressure that it will push any crooked or cupped parts flat, and once it comes out of the planer it has the same shape it did when I went it. It's crucial to put it in the planer flat and square. So when it comes out all the sides are parallel and square to one another.

I don't surface to the exact size I need just yet because the wood still might move. I let it sit over night and then plane it down to the exact size I need.

pidge

Angel Fish
jahmic;299508 said:
This is great...really appreciate the detailed build thread :)
Haha. Most people would just buy all their materials already S2S (surfaced two sides) but I do it all myself. It saves about .75 cents per BF and I end up with material that's closer to 13/16 instead of 3/4.

pidge

Angel Fish
That wood in the photos is hard curly maple. I do have some Birdseye maple laying around if you guys think that would look better? I'm a little reluctant to use the Birdseye because that stuff is crazy expensive.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is going to look awesome with the different types of wood. I am already imagining how it might look. I was another wood guy in high school. I loved wood shop so much I had it from 7th grade all the way until I graduated. Not sure why I never picked it up after that, but I for sure will be following along. :smile-new:
Looks like a good reason to get into another tank with furniture as nice as this will most likely be. Right on!!!!