Metalsniper's 24 Bio Cube build

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I guess I'll throw down one of these confounded build threads for my new tank. I bought a 24 cube from some guy off the list of Craig up in Erie. It had no lid, the rim was partially busted and the lights it came with were a single bulb T5.

Upon getting the tank home I promptly de-rimmed it to remove the evidence of prior tank-disgrace. I got all of the rim off using my dremel to cut along the rim, parallel to the tank then pulled off the two strips. Using a razor blade I scrapped off all of the silicon. It was about at this point that I discovered just how bad the previous owner had treated it.
A whole chunk of the back pane fell off, so I glued and siliconed it back on... It shouldn't ever be holding water pressure so I'm not concerned there.

Like all good cube mods I replaced the stock pump(it didn't come with one at all) with a maxijet 1200 and filled the tank with some fresh salt water as well as some from the 72 to kick start the cycle.

I constructed a [pretty awesome] rock structure with a couple chunks of dried/cured rock from elite and a chunk or two from the other tank.

In conjunction with the my practice light from my postponed led build a cycle was born.

Observant viewers may notice from one photo to the next that the whole rock structure was rotated 90 degrees.

Well, what do you think? I'll get on with a stocking list soon as well. :music:

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone. It's shaping up pretty nicely I think. Ammonia is pretty much down to zero today after about two weeks, so I threw in a mushroom and a zoa to see how they fare. So far so good, both are out and happy looking.

I think I'm going to go with the Tahitian moon sand though instead of leaving it bb, mostly because it's only been up two weeks and there is a bunch of crap all over the bottom already.

In terms of stocking, at this point I'm considering:
Bengaii Cardinal x2
Red tail flasher wrasse
Blue spot jawfish (when I get sand of course)
Twin spot goby

I know both the wrasse and the blue spot are jumpers so I am working on making a net of flurocarbon fishing line that, when stretched across the tank, should be relatively invisible when sitting just below water level.
I'll get some photos of that up when I do it too.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got some black sand stuff from aqua imports. Its opsiden or volcanic glass. I am going to use it in my zoa tank. Just a thought so you didn't have to wait for shipping and its not magnetic

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting. I was asking about the size because of the potential twin spot. He's a sifter so it needs to be small enough for him to manage.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;158931 said:
You can touch it and rub it between your fingers with out an issue
Not so sure I want to go back to page 1 to see what prompted this type of response....

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;158906 said:
I got some black sand stuff from aqua imports. Its opsiden or volcanic glass. I am going to use it in my zoa tank. Just a thought so you didn't have to wait for shipping and its not magnetic

gotta be careful with that stuff. I read when I was researching black sand that algae grows on it like rocks and you can end up with a carpet instead of black sand bed. Also that sand sifters have a hell of a time with it

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alrighty then, I'll probably just go with the magnetic stuff in that case. It would be terribly sad to see a goby grab a mouthful then start bleeding at the gills or something. Like a horror film for fishes.

I have also heard that that stuff doesn't have the nice buffering capability that most marine sands have, and that would probably be nice with so little live rock that I have in my tank.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wonder if that's why I have so many bubbles on my black sand.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk