My 17 gallon take 2

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, this isn't really a new build but a redo of my 17 gallon. I started this tank about 3 years ago and it has moved with me 4 times. This most recent move, I started up a 40 breeder and moved most of the livestock there. I did leave in 4 rocks that were covered in GSP and/or Anthelia. I also had moved the Kessil 350 over to the 40 and was just running a basic plant bulb over the tank to keep things alive. It looked like garbage.

So, I decided to do something about it. I emptied the tank, traded in the rocks for some new rocks, picked up some corals, some Caribsea Hawaiian Black sand, and a Kessil 160 with spectral controller. The corals are in my 40 until this tank has cycled. I removed all of the sand and put it in the refugium of my 40 which didn't have any sand in it. I cleaned the tank with vinegar, removed the old film backdrop that was taped on and spray painted the back black. I spent a few hours last night messing with the aquascape and glued some GSP to the back glass. There is one hermit in the tank for now but I did also pick up a CUC that is currently residing in the 40.

stats
17 gallon starphire glass 22" long x 11.25" wide x 16" tall
Kessil 160WE Tuna Blue with Spectral Controller
2 Koralia Nano 240 powerheads
1 Aqueon pro heater (forgot wattage)
20 lbs of Caribsea Hawaiian black sand
~20 lbs of live rock

here are some

View attachment 22259 Left side. Pic won't align correctly
View attachment 22258 Fts

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks great
Shaun! Is the other kessil on ur 40 a tuna blue as well? I couldn't remember.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The 40 has a 350 Kessil tuna blue and t5.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;336775 said:
Cool little tank
Thanks. I redid the aquascape again. I will take pictures later today.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Updated aquascape

[attachment=68298:name] Front
[attachment=68299:name] Left side
[attachment=68300:name] Right side
[attachment=68301:name]Front from left corner

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's some frags I picked up to put in the 17. They are sitting in my 40 until it's ready.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another take on the aquascape. What do you guys think?

[attachment=68315:name]

[attachment=68316:name]

Still not sure I'm in love with it. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can't make up my mind lol. Here is another attempt at the aquascape

[attachment=68317:name]

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Think I've got it now... We'll see

[attachment=68318:name]

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am trying to decide what fish to put in this tank. I am thinking probably just 2. Suggestions are welcome. This will be a mixed reef and open top.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Ialtalal! I can't wait to start putting stuff in. I think a clam or scoly needs to be placed on the sand bed!

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;337050 said:
Thanks Ialtalal! I can't wait to start putting stuff in. I think a clam or scoly needs to be placed on the sand bed!
Yeah definitely sound like a good idea to.me. may be one.of those gold clams

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gold clam would look sweet

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
As far as fish go, I am thinking of a goby shrimp pair. I love the look or the ORA Jaguar goby but not sure if it will pair up with a pistol shrimp. Anyone have experience with this fish? Open to suggestions on the second fish but I am trying to do captive bred or at the very least tank raised. My other tank has an ORA B&W Occ. Clown, a tri-color wrasse, ORA indigo Dottyback, and a Yasha goby. So, I'd like a different variety of fish in this tank.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got a few new corals today from Sethsoloman. I will post pics tomorrow after lights turn on. Got a chalice, rainbow acan, yellow striped clove to mix in with my orange striped clove, a Lokani, an acro, and some scrambled eggs mixed in with some space monster zoas. Thanks Seth! I wanted to stop by Elite Reef today for the first time, but they were closed by the time I got there.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tested the tank tonight, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia. Yay! I used live sand, live rock and about 75% old tank water.