My first real saltwater tank ...we'll the begins of :)

So I started with a 14gallon biocube from a yard sale last year in July.. It cracked a few weeks after I got married in August and my wife let me get a 24 gallon nanocube (I like the biocube better). And we'll the obsession has taken over and I can't stop buying saltwater stuff lol
In the next couple of months I will be setting up a 46 bow front after we move so here are the beginning of the madness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is the future tank, 46 bow with 6 buld T5 current fixture with nice wood stand that I picked up on craigslist for 150$
Also picked up a coralife skimmer rated for 125 gallons
And my favorite piece so far the jeboa wp25 wave maker

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Finally moved into my new place. Set the new tank up and moved the old one over as well. Here the progress so far. Had it running for about 3 weeks and still working on the sump.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
mbaeza64;311387 said:
My first tank
Dude! make your own build thread, dont highjack others.

@Elmotheodd - looking great man, looks like the cycle is in full swing.

Ii

Got a pump for.the fuge and finally got the overflow and pump in sync, however I really hope the power never goes out.
Still working on the aquascape, and glad to not have the noise from hob filters anymore.
Next step figure out how to get my skimmer on the sump.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking good. You are gonna want to take enough water out so that the water line in the pump side is about 2-3 inches above the top of the pump. That will give you the buffer you need in case the power ever goes out. Of course do a test run by unplugging the pump. If it still overflows after that, you will need either a check valve on the return or a siphon break (small hole drilled into the return tube just above the water line in the display)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;312912 said:
Looking good. You are gonna want to take enough water out so that the water line in the pump side is about 2-3 inches above the top of the pump. That will give you the buffer you need in case the power ever goes out. Of course do a test run by unplugging the pump. If it still overflows after that, you will need either a check valve on the return or a siphon break (small hole drilled into the return tube just above the water line in the display)
+1.

Ahh, the old getting the skimmer inside the sump after its under the tank dilemma.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya looks like your baffles are to high, you will need to cut them down so you can have less water in the sump to prevent overflow when power is cut. Dont hope that power wont ever go out, because it will and you will regret it once it does.

Also with the skimmer, remember that not only do you have to get it in there but you also need to get it out about once a month for routine cleaning, so I would make whatever changes you need to be able to do that

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 cutting baffles down is another good option if lowering the water level a bit isnt enough. It doesnt appear to be a tricky situation to get a skimmer in there. Is yours an hob or in sump? If its hob, that area right underneath the light is perfect and should be a piece of cake to place assuming you tank isnt butting up against a wall.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Your baffles actually look fine to me since after they over flow the first baffle the two other areas will level out until eventually they whole tank will level out (as the water rises above the first baffle on both sides). What you need to do is this IMO:

1. drain 2-3 gallons of water out of the sump
  2. intentionally turn off power letting everything drain back into sump
  3. when all the water has stopped flowing start pouring back in the water you took out until you reach a level a few inches below the top (this will be your max fill level - I usually mark with a sharpie)
  4. then turn back on power and let everything start to flow
  5. look to see that the water level is lower than the first baffle in the last 2 chambers (if not you need to drain water from sump until it is - making sure your pump is still under a few inches of water)
  6. once the tank is running just fine and you are happy with the water level in the sump - mark this level as mid again with a sharpie (this will be your day to day operational water level)
  7. sit back relax and enjoy the tank

* If there are two things I highly highly recommend in this hobby it is a RO/DI unit and an ATO (auto top off) unit. Both of these things will make your life so much easier I promise!!!! You wont have to mess with changing water levels in the sump and you wont have to rush out to your LFS (local fish store) to get RO water.

As wise man named Dillon once said "HTH - Hope That Helps"

Also feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
CRW Reef;312953 said:

* If there are two things I highly highly recommend in this hobby it is a RO/DI unit and an ATO (auto top off) unit. Both of these things will make your life so much easier I promise!!!! You wont have to mess with changing water levels in the sump and you wont have to rush out to your LFS (local fish store) to get RO water.

As wise man named Dillon once said "HTH - Hope That Helps"

Also feel free to PM me if you have any questions
+1 both are must haves imo, saves you so much headache

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Havent done the power outage test yet but that is on my to do.list.

Here is a pic from my new scape best I.could do without a total sandstorm but I like it.
Qish I.had an auto top.off but my fish budget is limited for this month is gone *sigh =( however I do have a small ro unit but it needs a membrane and filter so.that is next. Because I cant seem to get my water to sparkle like my other tank. Currently running a huge skimmer amd carbon but still the water looks cloudy.

Vdubjetta01

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
The crystal clear water will come in about a week. Just keep changing out you filer sock/filter pad and it'll get there. Nice looking tank though I like all the sand bed!