My first real saltwater tank ...we'll the begins of :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looking good man! Ya the clear water may take a bit, but it will come. Like all things in reefing, patience is key :)

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
The siphon break on the return pipe, just above the water line is an easy step and I always do that. Avoids a back siphon with the return hose draining the DT.

Ok update time..learning lessons the hardway.
Well the tank was running great this were settling I had almost all my fish picked out and then I lost about 80% of my livestock. I had an ich breakout, I attempted a quarentine tank and it failed miserably. So for about the last month and a half the tank has looked pretty sad. I was so frustrated that I started using tap water because I had nothing to lose. I rearranged the rock and now I am finally reattempting a reef. I bought a fromspawn and was painfully reminded that tap watter and coral dont mix.
However I did listen to all of you and did a power outage test then drilled a hole in my return line that breaks the siphon. I also added chaeto? To my sump for filtration help however my sump is only two chambers and im not sure how to make my skimmer work without it sucking up and clogging the pump with chaeto.
Finally I have painfully learned that I need a top for my tank after losing 3 fish to carpet surfing over the last few months.