Named/LE Corals

Named/LE Corals

• Yes, and I don't mind paying $$$ per Polyp!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Color and a Fair Price are more important!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here you go perfect example: Taken right from www.garretts-acropolis.com

Umi Blue Xenia
Extremely unique species of xenia, so much so that I gave it a name to set it apart from other so-called blue xenia (usually a Cespitularia sp), this is a true xenia species in that the polyps form a crown on top of a stalk. They do not pulse but are extremely blue which is even more visible under natural daylight. This species is slower growing compared to the red sea xenia. Lastly I caught a cleaner shrimp eating this coral, so if there are cleaner shrimp in your tank keep a close eye on them.

See this one is so limited and rare that "he gave it a name" thats the stupid stuff people are talking about !

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmmmm, well, maybe he's dived all areas of the ocean and has found only one remote spot that this coral grows in? It's probably only grown
in the front yard of the McCullochi Clownfish. yeah, that's the ticket

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well it looks like the vast majority of people who have visited this thread agree that "Color and a Fair Price are more important! " than having a fancy name. The problem is, how do you turn that into action? How do you fight a machine that tells you that an LE or JF coral is worth 10x what anything else is worth just because they gave it a name?

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have sat back silently on this one for the past 7 pages but I just feel I should speak my mind. I agree with the polls outcome, but my issue is that as a hobbyist we take pride on our tanks when we have that WOW factor from others seeing our tanks. The problem comes in when we want that WOW factor it cost us $$ for some cherry pieces. I do not like the fact that someone can call a coral by a specific name and it increases its value but I do like the fact that someone does not have to have a picture of such coral to describe it to a fellow hobbyist. As long as that person is reputable. When you purchase a named coral that is aqua cultured from a fellow hobbyist IMO YOU SHOULD GET IT FOR A BETTER PRICE. I buy and sell items often to reduce the cost of enjoying MY hobby and so that others can enjoy the hobby for a more reasonable price. when you purchase the latest electronic equipment that cost $$$$ you are realistically doing the same thing most of the consumers are going to know that in a year the price will be cheaper but do not want to wait so they spend more now instead of waiting until the new not so rare I-phone 4 is cheaper. It’s the same principal. What it really comes down to is what do you want in your tank and what’s the value (to you) to have it in your tank now as opposed to having it in your tank in 12 months for 25% cheaper.

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
Easy, DON'T BUY THEM! DON'T SELL THEM!

Nobody is forcing anybody to charge or purchase corals at these insane and inflated prices.

If you like paying or selling at 2000-3000% markup on a single polyp, because it's super awesome high end LE, and you "HAVE" to have it to feel good about yourself and your Reef, to defray the cost of the original purchase, etc etc, by all means, keep right on doing what you're doing.

The trend will continue. Prices will remain crazy until the market inevitably crashes, as it always does.
Look up the great Dutch Tulip Mania for an oddly farmiliar scenario.
One day every body wakes up and realizes "Dude, it's just a coral/flower/website/biz/comic book/baseball card/pog. It doesn't make me any happier than if I got the same thing for a tiny fraction of the price."

Someone posted earlier "The Polyp market has changed. $10 a polyp isn't a bad price."

And you're right, things have changed, and as frightening as it is, $10 a polyp is pretty dang cheap compared to many.

That doesn't mean we can't change it again.
It doesn't mean we can't change it back to $60 for 100 amazing and beautiful polyps!

You vote with your dollar.
Vote away.

"But I won't have the "SuckerPunch Reverse Tyree Fox Neon Orangish Purple TM LE Polyp before everybody else!"

So What???!? Does it make you a better person than the guy who bought a $10 brown frag and grew it into a show stopping center piece?
You also won't have to Frag up and sell you're prized two polyp frag to try and "recoupe" the "initial investment"
You can let it grow into something beautiful.

Are we in this hobby to make a killing as though it's the stock market??
Or are we here to nurture, grow, enjoy and appreciate some of the most amazing and beautiful creatures on this big blue ball we call home?

I feel like a total lunatic working at a LFS and being the person to say this, but wake up!!
This train will fly off the tracks to a flaming mess of carnage unless we pull on the handbrake.

I don't want to see this hobby and the people in it turn out like every over hyped and speculated on fad that has gone before.

All right, Rant Mode Off, I'll put the soap box away now.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
gh0st;84294 said:
Easy, DON'T BUY THEM! DON'T SELL THEM!

Nobody is forcing anybody to charge or purchase corals at these insane and inflated prices.

If you like paying or selling at 2000-3000% markup on a single polyp, because it's super awesome high end LE, and you "HAVE" to have it to feel good about yourself and your Reef, to defray the cost of the original purchase, etc etc, by all means, keep right on doing what you're doing.

The trend will continue. Prices will remain crazy until the market inevitably crashes, as it always does.
Look up the great Dutch Tulip Mania for an oddly farmiliar scenario.
One day every body wakes up and realizes "Dude, it's just a coral/flower/website/biz/comic book/baseball card/pog. It doesn't make me any happier than if I got the same thing for a tiny fraction of the price."

Someone posted earlier "The Polyp market has changed. $10 a polyp isn't a bad price."

And you're right, things have changed, and as frightening as it is, $10 a polyp is pretty dang cheap compared to many.

That doesn't mean we can't change it again.
It doesn't mean we can't change it back to $60 for 100 amazing and beautiful polyps!

You vote with your dollar.
Vote away.

"But I won't have the "SuckerPunch Reverse Tyree Fox Neon Orangish Purple TM LE Polyp before everybody else!"

So What???!? Does it make you a better person than the guy who bought a $10 brown frag and grew it into a show stopping center piece?
You also won't have to Frag up and sell you're prized two polyp frag to try and "recoupe" the "initial investment"
You can let it grow into something beautiful.

Are we in this hobby to make a killing as though it's the stock market??
Or are we here to nurture, grow, enjoy and appreciate some of the most amazing and beautiful creatures on this big blue ball we call home?

I feel like a total lunatic working at a LFS and being the person to say this, but wake up!!
This train will fly off the tracks to a flaming mess of carnage unless we pull on the handbrake.

I don't want to see this hobby and the people in it turn out like every over hyped and speculated on fad that has gone before.

All right, Rant Mode Off, I'll put the soap box away now.
I agree with this 100%

For example: In my tank my +100 zoa colony looks so much better then my 1 polyp space monster. I even paid less for the colony then my space monster

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;84162 said:
why not make a name up? Like JC's totally awesome red skirt zoa or starship enterprise laser blast explosion zoa or Razzlers, just saying.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

san dimas high school football rules zoa... lol

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
IMO it's just smart marketing, as long as people are willing to pay they will charge whatever they want. Some people don't care how much, so they will pay it. Will I ever pay 1000 a eye No and I can't afford to. I remember 2 years ago it was the acans now it's the chalices, it will come and go. When I went to Dublin californa I stopped by a local fish store and their prices were super high but people are paying it. Like anything else people will get as much as they can. I'll just be patient and wait.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;84357 said:
OMG can I pay $2500 for that huge colony right there?!
Lol!

Well it looks like the new fad is slipping Into zoas so someone prob will pay that much next year if it has a cool name

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya I want a Lps reef
If the scaly fad was still here that would cost a fortune

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i think scolys go for alot for different reason ...they are slow growers and they don't reproduce in our tanks and if you frag/cut in 1/2 they don't grow out to be as perfectly round as one that has come from the ocean ...so to that point the are rare
...thats alot diffrent than charing $120 for a polyp that grows like a weed ...in that case you take the suckers while you can because soon it will saturate the market and be like any other zoa ...case in point the SM was $120 six months ago and i would be willing to bet these will be part of the DBTC in 6 more months and right now you can find them for less than half of what they started at

...you think JF is the only guy sitting back and laughing at people for paying the outrageous prices? ...lol....C-PEC

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
This might as well be a thread about any hi end product category. There is always something out of the reach of others. If it bothers you that bad go out and make more money. Bitching about it isn't going to change it.

Should I start a thread whining about not being able to afford my own helicopter or Swedish massage team? What about a miniature giraffe? There's always going to be something in the hobby you can't afford. It's not a cheap hobby, it was never a cheap hobby...tough love rant over. :)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
brent ward;84369 said:
This might as well be a thread about any hi end product category. There is always something out of the reach of others. If it bothers you that bad go out and make more money. Bitching about it isn't going to change it.

Should I start a thread whining about not being able to afford my own helicopter or Swedish massage team? What about a miniature giraffe? There's always going to be something in the hobby you can't afford. It's not a cheap hobby, it was never a cheap hobby...tough love rant over. :)
lol@ mr. money bags ...atleast you are fair (+ some) with people when you sell your stuff even if you where fortunate enough to be able to pay top dollar for it

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;84371 said:
lol@ mr. money bags ...atleast you are fair (+ some) with people when you sell your stuff even if you where fortunate enough to be able to pay top dollar for it
No money bags here, ever seen my car? I just have more to show for being broke and I get crazy deals on stuff or I don't by it. I stretch my dollar very far. Example is my studio stove. I do food photography and need a nice stove for the food stylists. I got that thing for less than half price brand new on the pallette because of a screw up.

I hardly ever buy it for top dollar, but do try to hook people up. ;)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
damn thats a nice stove ...can't say i noticed it :( can you get me one ...lol